Cord Cutting?

I'm planning a Lotus Birth, so no cord cutting here! However, if I changed my mind about the Lotus, I would at least wait til the cord stopped pulsating.

Thank you for the info! I knew I wanted to delay clamping, and that people talk of pulsing, but I had no idea the cord would turn white!

Has there been shown to be any benefit for waiting any longer than when the cord is done pulsating, or is this just a holistic preference?

I'm having a hospital birth in the US and my midwife said it's fine with them to wait until it stops pulsating.

I had a hospital birth and had in my birth plan to wait until the cord stopped pulsing, which they were happy to go with :)

I'm planning a Lotus Birth, so no cord cutting here! However, if I changed my mind about the Lotus, I would at least wait til the cord stopped pulsating.

I really wanted a lotus birth but OH is completely freaked by the idea and I think it would put him off going anywhere near the baby until the cord dropped off, which I think would be a shame for the bonding. So I'm just going to leave it until its stopped pulsing and turned white, and the placenta is delivered.

Waiting till it stops pulsating and turns white. Also waiting on the placenta to work its way out naturally.

I like Tacey's response with the pictures. That was how I planned doing mine.

Has there been shown to be any benefit for waiting any longer than when the cord is done pulsating, or is this just a holistic preference?

Yes, that's right, there are no physiological benefit but other benefits for the baby and family.

According to this article from BMJ there are benefits related to improved iron levels and reduced anaemia, only reason why I'm considering it as I don't go in for all the holistic stuff.

Hi ladies. I popped over here to start a thread about my latest labour when I stimbles across this thread. With my DS i wanted to delay cord cutting but I had to be transferred to hospital to have him due to complications. When he was finally born he was very blue and needed a little help to begin with so they cut it and swept him away.

I am hoping that this time I will get my natural home birth and have this morning, thanks to this article decided that, aslong a I get my homebirth all the way this time, I will be cutting the cord as FOB doesn't wish to again and I will be waiting as long as possible, if I can wait until the placenta is out then I will but when it stops pulsating at the earliest :)

Thank you for your help with this decision by means of this article ladies :) xxx

Hi ladies. I popped over here to start a thread about my latest labour when I stimbles across this thread. With my DS i wanted to delay cord cutting but I had to be transferred to hospital to have him due to complications. When he was finally born he was very blue and needed a little help to begin with so they cut it and swept him away.

I am hoping that this time I will get my natural home birth and have this morning, thanks to this article decided that, aslong a I get my homebirth all the way this time, I will be cutting the cord as FOB doesn't wish to again and I will be waiting as long as possible, if I can wait until the placenta is out then I will but when it stops pulsating at the earliest :)

Thank you for your help with this decision by means of this article ladies :) xxx

:hugs:I hope everything works out!

I'm going to try to go until the cord goes white. I'm not sure if that's going to be allowed in the hospital in the US, does anyone know? Not pregnant yet but I'd love to deliver at a local birthing center (where they would allow it, I think), but my insurance doesn't cover them currently.

Just wanted to let you know that you don't have to accept that your insurance doesn't cover the birthing center. I wanted to give birth at a birth center but my insurance didn't cover it either. You can call your insurance company and tell them you want a GAP acception. I was told it was a nightmare to get this, especially with United Health Care (which is who I had) but all I had to do was call it in to my insurance company and they said they would need some codes to put it in the system. I had my midwife call them to give them the info and got a letter back saying they would cover the birth at the in network price.

Just wanted to let you know since I was worried I wouldn't get the birth I wanted. Birth centers are AMAZING! At least my experience was amazing! Hope you get the birth you want! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->