cord wound? [pictures pg 2]

Pyrrhic

Reaction score
couldn't think of what else to call it....

Niamh's cord fell off after a few days but it's never healed. It started bleeding last week, and is now weeping alot. Today went I went to change her nappy you can't see her belly button and there is a large amount of pink/red flesh protruding out of her belly button. Almost like what I'd imagine a hernia to look like.

We have a doctors appointment tomorrow, but does anyone else know what this might be? I've been cleaning the area regularly. :(

annabelle has an umbilical hernia hun, when she has a bath later i will take a picture and post it if you want

Lou
xxx

thanks hun :hugs: Does hers ever bleed? I would have thought it should have stopped by now.

leyleys cord got infected when it fell off and then started bleeding too...i was told to just try and keep it clean but it isnt as bad as ur LOs sounds...havent u got a number for the MW that u can ring and ask them?

x

It happened with hubby's cousin's little girl. The doctor said that the nurses didn't clamp far enough down when they cut the cord (it bled a little and was weepy for over a month after the birth)

Leeon had this but it didnt heal up on its own so health visitor put afew drops of iodine?? onto it and he healed quickly wasnt painful for him or anything x

My baby had an "outy" belly button at that age and the sides of it were pinky red, as though the skin was really thin or something, but the top was flesh coloured skin with a scab. Niamh's sounds to me like what Mark's was.

His was checked by the MW and there was nothing wrong with it, but we just had to be careful about cleaning it (every other nappy) and drying it with a tissue every time it was cleaned. Also to encourage it to heal the MW said to not button his vest round his nappy just leave it up a bit at the front and then open the button on his babygro over the belly button area to let the air around it. And to keep smelling it- if you notice a bad smell that is a sign of infection.

I can normally see her belly button, but this is like a separate lump thats now grown larger and is now protruding out of her belly button.

It will be interesting to see what the doc says tomorrow.

this is Annabelle just now after bath time the doctors have said it should just heal by itself it it hasnt by time she is older they will operate

Lou
xxx

sorry about the messy background im trying to sort all my house out and look after a baby its just not happening LOL

xxx

Attachments

• SDC10428.JPG
    SDC10428.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 40
  • SDC10429.JPG
    SDC10429.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 26
  • SDC10430.JPG
    SDC10430.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 26
If it is red and bleeding it could be infected... good luck at your appointment.

I can normally see her belly button, but this is like a separate lump thats now grown larger and is now protruding out of her belly button.

It will be interesting to see what the doc says tomorrow.

thats EXACTLY what rileys was like they gave me cream to put on it

no advice just wanted to say lots of luck and hope it clears up soon :hugs: x

callums was like that for abaout 2weeks after his cord came off, mw said not to wet it just gently clean it ans smother it in sudocreme. good luck 2mo hun xxx

My little sister still has a belly button hernia and she is 2. It looks like that picture that has been posted.

Jasmine has a small hernia too, if its hard or wont push in then you should go to the doctor.

Cormack has an umbilical hernia too but it doesnt weep or anything. Tho it did for a while after it fell off. The hv says its to do with the fact they had to cut his cord twice.
We take a photo of it every week so we can keep track of how big it is.

Its really dark red today, a lot larger and weeping blood. It almost looks like a blood blister.

I've taken pictures, but now need to figure out how to get them from camera to Mac computer.

My LO had a hernia, I'm not sure if this is what your LO has though, I think if it was a hernia and it was bleeding like you say it is then she would be in a lot of pain and you'd know all about it!!! Perhaps it an infection - I hope your dr sorts it out for you both :hugs:

emilia had an umbilical infection that sounds like u r describing. A stupid fill in midwife came and pulled her cord off and it musn't have been ready. When my normal mw saw it she gave me some antibacterial powder until we could get to the doctors. The doc then gave me some cream. Hope the doctor sorts it for you.

It's got a lot bigger today, and looks like it's filled with blood.

Pictures: (Warning: There is blood, hence why the pics are in spoilers)

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sublime_envy/SDC10414.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sublime_envy/SDC10413.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/sublime_envy/SDC10406.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back