Cot Bumpers - Safety?

Kristine30

Mum & Wifey
Reaction score
Just wondering peoples thoughts about Cot Bumpers and safety? It seems there's lots of reasons why they are not safe, but in my mind, if there weren't that safe, then surely so many shops wouldn't be able to sell them....:wacko:

I've found these light mesh ones and was wondering if anyone has used these instead? Plus they come in plain pink so that goes well for my ickle baby girl! :+)

https://www.safedreams.co.uk/shop/shop.php?c1=&show=

Oh wow! thank you for this! I was going to be using bumpers but only along the bottom so little can't get feet stuck through the bars but this seems MUCH better.

These breathable ones are the suitable replacement for the traditional bumpers which do not allow enough air to circulate through the crib. I know alot of people still buy the traditional ones for looks only.....and then their baby just ends up sleeping with them till they are older anyways. I am still undecided if I am going to get the newer ones or just fore-go them all together.

wow never seen mesh ones before, good idea! I think bumpers are fine for newborns and older babies, not sure about the inbetween stage when they wiggle about but cant turn heads easily yet. But I do agree that if they really were not that safe then they wouldnt be sold. Mesh is a fab idea!

OOh I bought a mesh set also. My sister says they are ok to use in the beginning- till about 4-5 months. Then you need to take them down.

I have a traditional one and will use it just for the first few months.
I think as long as you make sure it is secure and that baby can't get stuck under it then they are ok but the mesh ones do sound like a good option if you're still worried...

J x

ive always been confused about bumpers were gonna use one but whats all this they educe air circulating around the cot? surely thats the same with cots that have a solid end either side instead of bars

Whats the point in cot bumpers anway? I have never bothered with them.

I won't be using a traditional bumper but will get the mesh one to keep their arms and legs from getting stuck.
I find it hard to not use a bumper as they are not recommended anymore but aren't yet banned. They are very cute and we all grew up with them, but its just too hard for me to go against recommendations.
Plus, once they are 'safe' to use due to the child's age, apparently they use them to climb out of the crib/cot :dohh:

The mesh ones will 'collapse' under them if they try to step on them, so they're great for older kids too! I'll be getting one of those!!

They look really cute in cribs but after reading the recommendations from the AAP etc I'm going to skip the traditional bumpers all together.
https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/legis...ordure-eng.php
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0918165353.htm
https://aapnews.aappublications.org/c...full/29/1/28-a

im a bit funny about these things aye with my son the one i had was fitted perfectly but one day during his afternoon nap i heard him i guess making a panic sound i ran in there to find he found a way to get his head stuck under it
he must have liked the texture while he was lying there and managed to somehow pull himself up to it
i took it off straight away and connected it to the outside of the cot so he couldnt touch it or get stuck again

it was so weird how he did it but then again the amount of time i had to lube his legs up because he got them stuck through the sides of the cot it doesnt suprise me. hes now four and still accident proned

...but babies cant move anyway at the very start..so i fail to see the point in them. By the time they can move, that is the most dangerous period, so they shouldnt be on as they can get caught in them and suffocate. I think they are a waste of money. I will be putting my baby in a sleeping bag in the crib.

Sigh, they probably are a waste of money. But they are soo cute lol!

lol they really are cute... and we're so used to seeing them.

They sell them everywhere, even mothercare. It's odd, they can't have issued a recall or anything.

It takes them a long time to come down with a firm decision on stuff like that.
They sell MANY things that aren't safe. There are tons and tons of teething toys here that contain PVC and BPA and phtalates etc...
Just because its for sale, doesn't make it safe :(
(they are much stricter with specific equipment like car seats, strollers, and cribs.... not so strict with the other stuff)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->