Cot death '5 times as likely with co-sleeping'

TrixieLox

Reaction score
This is headline news in the UK today. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22594587

This research applies even to parents who carefully follow the guidelines and don't drink etc so it seems the tide has changed with regards to advice. Less 'it's fine as long as you're careful' (something I've read on these boards) and more 'not safe even for careful parents in first 3 months'.

Combined with the recent stories here of deaths caused via co-sleeping even when parents follow the guidelines, is anyone rethinking their co-sleeping plans? Or are you marching on with your plans regardless?

most people will co sleep anyway. I find a lot of these articles are more for scaring people into following the guide lines to the tea.

I personally don't co sleep but have friends who have/are and they swear by it for helping with BF etc

I think everything has a risk to it, even putting a baby in a moses basket.

Not at all. I feel far safer co sleeping then cot sleeping.

I will be breastfeeding, i dont think i would co sleep if i planned to formula feed.

Places where co sleeping is the norm have far lower cot death rates then here.

this article is a load of scare mongering crap to be honest. Statistically, done safely, with no risk indicators, co-sleeping/bed sharing is as safe, or safer, then a baby being in a cot alone in another room. Lets remember that co sleeping also includes baby sleeping in the same room as their parents, not just in the same bed. and sadly, when you look at the 'SIDS' numbers, babies still die, alone, in their cots, in different rooms, yet no one is coming out and saying that 'cot sleeping is dangerous'
It's only in the Western world we worry about this, in countries like China/Japan where co sleeping and bed sharing is the complete norm, they have no term for SIDS, it doesn't happen. if co sleeping/bed sharing was a higher risk, as a species, we wouldn't have survived this long as throughout history, babies have slept with their mothers.

just read the article, its a lot of he said she said... not really a lot of hard proven facts. this bit interested me tho...

Unicef UK is concerned that any guidance that recommends the total avoidance of bed-sharing could end up forcing parents into much riskier practices such as feeding in arm-chairs or sofas where the risk of suffocating the baby is far higher.

Japan, another industrialized country, not only has one of the lowest infant mortality rates (less than 3 infants per 1000 live births compared with around 7 for the United States), but one of the lowest SIDS rates in the world (between .2 and .3 babies per 1000 live births compared with approximately .5 per 1000 infants for the US). The Japan SIDS Family Organization reported that SIDS rates continue to decline in Japan as maternal smoking approaches practically 0, and exclusive breastfeeding reaches around 70-75 % . In fact, one report shows that as bedsharing and breastfeeding increased and as maternal smoking decreased, SIDS rates decreased. This suggests yet again that it is not necessarily bedsharing, but how it is practiced, that can be dangerous.

Why is it that when a baby dies whilst co sleeping its co sleeping fault yet if they die in a cot no one blames the cot??

Pictures from the daily mail article

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/20/article-0-00E528DA1000044C-139_634x374.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/20/article-0-0E8F41EF00000578-243_634x403.jpg

First off neither is is following any kind of guideline on safe co sleeping.

The study found in 22 per cent of cases where infants had died from SIDS, one or both parents had been sleeping with their child at the time of death.

So 88% were in cots? How does that make co sleeping more dangerous?

I will still be co sleeping, albeit with bubs in a co sleeper cot.

Pictures from the daily mail article

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/20/article-0-00E528DA1000044C-139_634x374.jpg
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/20/article-0-0E8F41EF00000578-243_634x403.jpg

First off neither is is following any kind of guideline on safe co sleeping.

The study found in 22 per cent of cases where infants had died from SIDS, one or both parents had been sleeping with their child at the time of death.

So 88% were in cots? How does that make co sleeping more dangerous?

Not really as the percentage of people who co sleep in this country are less. So there for the death rate would be lower, compared cot sleeping.

I think its all just scaremongering and a way to fill pages. Like the link that was put up yesterday about dummies reducing SIDS, that ended up saying there wasn't enough evidence to support the theory. I personally won't be bed sharing, but only because I toss and turn a lot in my sleep, at the moment I even manage to take my pregnancy body pillow with me!! Every parent and every baby is different. I'm not against bed sharing, and can imagine it can feel very natural, its been happening for ever after all! My daughter will be in a gliding crib next to our bed for her first 6 months. I just think however you choose to put your baby to sleep has its dangers if you don't follow basic guidelines. Those photos from the article aren't following the guidelines on bed sharing, like putting a newborn to sleep at the top of a cot (not feet to foot) with a pillow and a quilt isn't following basic guidelines.

The article contradicts itself.

There has been a marked increase in co sleeping yet SIDS has continued to decline.

Completely agree with everything Kala said!

Can understand the need to defend co-sleeping and each person makes their own informed (and clearly very intelligent according to the responses to this) decisions. But personally, I’ve just seen to many headlines like this now to feel comfortable about it. Sure, I might be following the herd and allowing myself to easily get scared. But I just don’t want to risk it for the sake of a child I’ve been desperately wanting for five years. So I won’t be co-sleeping now. :-(

i too am totally agreeing with what Kala has posted. i felt most safe whilst co sleeping with DD. x

see I have never felt safe co sleeping because I move far too much.

He used to sleep on OH's side of the bed for naps at about 6 months on wards.

Japan, another industrialized country, not only has one of the lowest infant mortality rates (less than 3 infants per 1000 live births compared with around 7 for the United States), but one of the lowest SIDS rates in the world (between .2 and .3 babies per 1000 live births compared with approximately .5 per 1000 infants for the US). The Japan SIDS Family Organization reported that SIDS rates continue to decline in Japan as maternal smoking approaches practically 0, and exclusive breastfeeding reaches around 70-75 % . In fact, one report shows that as bedsharing and breastfeeding increased and as maternal smoking decreased, SIDS rates decreased. This suggests yet again that it is not necessarily bedsharing, but how it is practiced, that can be dangerous.

I think those statistics could change drasticly over the next 10 years.
Recently having conversations with a chinese and philipeno relatives both commented on how formula and cots seem to be more and more common back home amongst their friends and family.
Apparentlt breast feeding is generaly being seen more and more as the "poor mans alternative"
Quite a few times they have been asked about sending formula back home.
The recent restriction on the amount of formula you can buy to try preventing shipments to countries like china and japan also seems to suggest its becoming more popular.

this article is a load of scare mongering crap to be honest. Statistically, done safely, with no risk indicators, co-sleeping/bed sharing is as safe, or safer, then a baby being in a cot alone in another room. Lets remember that co sleeping also includes baby sleeping in the same room as their parents, not just in the same bed. and sadly, when you look at the 'SIDS' numbers, babies still die, alone, in their cots, in different rooms, yet no one is coming out and saying that 'cot sleeping is dangerous'
It's only in the Western world we worry about this, in countries like China/Japan where co sleeping and bed sharing is the complete norm, they have no term for SIDS, it doesn't happen. if co sleeping/bed sharing was a higher risk, as a species, we wouldn't have survived this long as throughout history, babies have slept with their mothers.

I have no strong views on co-sleeping except its not for me. However I wanted to also point out re this post that 'Cancer' also has no name in china - but it still exists. I know this as I worked in oncology and it was very difficult trying to explain a cancer diagnosis to Chinese speaking families. Just because a term doesn't exist, it doesn't mean SIDS doesn't happen.

I never had dd in bed but she stayed in my bedroom with me and OH for ages because i felt safe with her close by, i wouldnt have her in bed because me and OH are heavy sleepers and we both figit so its never been a safe option but my mom had all of us in bed with her as she said it helped whilst breast feeding i wont be haveing this baby in bed with us but she will stay in our toom till i feel ready for her to be put with her sister

I have no strong views on co-sleeping except its not for me. However I wanted to also point out re this post that 'Cancer' also has no name in china - but it still exists. I know this as I worked in oncology and it was very difficult trying to explain a cancer diagnosis to Chinese speaking families. Just because a term doesn't exist, it doesn't mean SIDS doesn't happen.

The statistics show that SIDS is alot rarer in those countries

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->