Cot death '5 times as likely with co-sleeping'

some people use the term co sleeping as in the same room so actually we have no idea hw many of these "co sleeping" deaths actually involve baby bed sharing.

Co sleeping also covers babies on the sofa with mum/dad which is dangerous.

The danger of just saying dont co sleep rather then how to co sleep safely is that people are still going to do it and alot more will be unintentional which imo is far more dangerous

Oliver was right next to us for 7 months.

I can honestly say I have never fallen asleep with baby in my arms. Maybe its because of my depression and that I put him in his chair or basket once he was fed I dont know
Because of bad colic and reflux we often had to sit and wait for half an hour or so with him laid on my chest and couldnt put him straight down so somtimes got a bit too comfy waiting.

Oliver also had colic and reflux so I did used to have to keep him up right once he had been fed. Maybe I am just better with no sleep than I thought :thumbup:

some people use the term co sleeping as in the same room so actually we have no idea hw many of these "co sleeping" deaths actually involve baby bed sharing.

Co sleeping also covers babies on the sofa with mum/dad which is dangerous.

The danger of just saying dont co sleep rather then how to co sleep safely is that people are still going to do it and alot more will be unintentional which imo is far more dangerous

I have to agree.

I also think that MW's as standard should give out a safe co sleeping guide. My SIL and brother put the baby between their pillows and cover her with the covers. They have done since she was a week or so old. That scares me.

As does the fact is is 4 months and has a quilt and bumpers, and is up the top of her cot.

Kind of scary then that there are bound to be people out there that dont take the termenolagy literaly as I did but also took dont co sleep then to mean stick them straight in another room.

Thats it, this time im paying the extra and getting the model that comes with a manual and translator (i wish)

For most research studies, the terms used are actually the same, athough it is true that 'bedsharing' sometimes does include sofa or chair sharing too. In this study it did not.

There are useful definitions here:

https://www.isisonline.org.uk/hcp/research_evidence/definitions/

I wasnt really refering to where the milk was coming from or going to but more the growing attitude of the 3 example countries I gave.
I used those 3 because thats where I have relatives from.
Japan has had a growing oppinion of formula feeding for a while and the other countries seem to be following suit.
As my sil put it among her friends and comunity it seems to be a bit of a growing "follow western culture" fad
I get the impression that BFing attitudes in Japan have little to do with those in China and vice versa. I don't know about the Philippines, but China definitely has a massive FFing rate and, like you say, it's to do with social status. The same can't be said for Japan. BFing rates are on the increase there (95% of mothers in Japan intend to BF, it just seems the support networks aren't great: https://medical.med.tokushima-u.ac.jp/jmi/vol54/pdf/v54_n3-4_p224.pdf).

I don't know if FFing can still be said to reflect "western culture" in any way, especially as it peaked in the 1970s and is routinely rejected by studies carried out in Europe and the US as being as beneficial as BFing.

All I know is that co-sleeping kept me sane when my babies were small and not sleeping well.I can think off the top of my head of 10+ sets of parents with more than one child who have co-slept from birth,myself included.I even co-slept with my niece when she was staying over at a few weeks old.I feel completely comfortable doing this and would do it with any future babies too.People have been doing it for millions of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->