Cough Medicine

leedsforever

Kerry!
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether we can have cough medicine during pregnancy!!! It doesnt say anything on the bottle about it.... but my throat is really killing me :cry:!!

Sorry hun but i'm pretty sure you can't as they usually contain decongestant type things. You could try the age old remedy it really helps, hot lemon and honey......its really good for you.

Hope you start to feel better soon...:hug:

xx

I have a wallet card from the maternity clinic that lists dextromethorpan syrup as safe. Brand names in Canada include Balminil-DM and Benylin-DM.
If it has decongestants as well, I agree that it will probably be a no-go
I would double check the active ingredients on-line. You can type in pregnancy and drugs into google and there are all sorts of good sites. Lots of them use the letter rating system - as long as its B or higher, its considered safe.
Hot water, honey and lemon really worked for me, though, as well as gargling with warm saltwater.

Reading more of the small print of the cough medicine I bought OH!! It says "take into account pregnant or breastfeeding mothers"!!! To me that makes no sense!! :dohh:

I have no lemon or honey :cry:!! I hate this cos I know its only going to get worse before it gets better!!

I think Ill take 2 paracetemol for tonight!!

ps: would it actually say decongestants?? or is that a collective name for other ingredients??

Any medicinal ingredient should be labelled as "Active Ingredient". Or "Medicinal Ingredient".
Decongestants to avoid include pseudo-ephedrine, for sure.
Here's the link to the Safe Fetus site:
https://www.safefetus.com/Search.asp
Sorry - I have no idea how to make that link properly, so just cut and paste.
Type in the medical ingredients and see what comes up. They explain the letter grade system, too.
And even hot water will feel good on your throat. So if you can't get any answers, that and the paracetamol will help loads!

only managed to find one on the list Ethanol which was given a D so thats enough for me to put it back in the cupboard!!!

Thanks again!!! Looks like water and paracetemol will have to do!!!
I do however have some strepsils somewhere.... and they are ok in pregnancy!! However at 12.45am really dont fancy looking for them right now!!! :rofl:

:hug:

Poor thing! Hope you feel better in the morning!

:hug: Hope you feel better soon. Do you have any hard candies you can suck on?

:hug: Hope you feel better soon. Do you have any hard candies you can suck on?

nope :nope:

I was so expecting a "get to bed leeds" from you Vickie!!! :):)

I have ice lollys which help :):) and icecream :):) but had enough of that today and its not really an appropriate time lol!!!

ohhhhh forgot about the time difference :dohh:

Go to bed already!! You need plenty of rest, especially if you are under the weather!

Well 1am isnt bad considering my last few nights :):)

yep im going.... im taking a callipo ice pop with me though..... and you cant stop me :rofl:!!!

:hugs: night

Well 1am isnt bad considering my last few nights :):)

yep im going.... im taking a callipo ice pop with me though..... and you cant stop me :rofl:!!!

:hugs: night

I was eating fab lolly in bed at 2am. If we cant do it now when can we!

hope you're feeling a bit better :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"