Coughing

Ashersmomma

Reaction score
I am about to go out of my mind with this cough! I've posted before about the nasty cold DH gave me, and luckily it's mostly cleared. All I'm left with now is this persistent cough that just will not go away. I cough constantly day and night. Can't sleep, I wet myself all day long, pulled a muscle in my stomach, and now it's causing Braxton hicks contractions. I've tried otc cough syrup, cough drops, hot showers, hot tea, a humidifier and the inhaler my OB prescribed when I was pregnant with DS. Nothing seems to help for very long.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on what I could try? I will try anything at this point!

I just got over this myself. My bump hurt so bad I thought I was going to have some sort of alien movie reenactment with every coughing fit. I have a couple of tricks, one of which will sound kind of crazy, but it helps really.

First thing to try is Vicks vapor rub on the bottoms of your feet, this one is hit or miss, sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't.

This is the strange one. It's called "The wet sock method." get a pair of regular cotton or cotton blend socks, get them wet and toss them in the freezer until frozen. Have another pair of socks (Thick and fuzzy socks are best) dry. Soak your feet in the hottest water you can stand for 5-10 minutes. After drying your feet (while they're still hot from the soak) put on the cold wet socks, then put the dry pair on over top of them. I know it sounds crazy, but this works almost every time for me. I just run and jump in bed to fall asleep before the effect wears off, lol.

That does sound crazy but I will try anything once!! I'm running on very little sleep and with a now sick DS.

A big spoonful of honey is the best thing for a cough x

I was in the ER for numerous hours on breathing treatments today, so I am at a loss, sorry! I tried everything for my cough, but eventually i had such severe swelling and inflammation in my airways and lungs that I ended up with horrible breathing problems...... Uh!

So keep trying to get rid of that cough!

Good luck, hopefully the sock thing works!

Thanks. I'm still trying lots of different things. I'm really getting tired of wetting myself all the time. DH just stopped to get me some pads on his way home from work. Which I find very sweet, but hilarious :) I was on the phone with him while he was trying to figure it what kind to get. He was so confused looking at all the different types.

I feel your pain, as going through same thing and looking for advice. I cracked open my maternity pad supply as the wetting myself is so bad I wouldn't be able to leave house otherwise. I'm worried I'm not drinking enough for pregnancy or to flush virus out, but lots of drink equals bigger wee accidents when I cough. Sorry if tmi.

I have just come down with a horrible cough too, no other symptoms. I dont cough at night while sleeping though so I haven't tried this, but I heard for night time to cut up and onion and put it by your bed. I also heard eating raw onion or making a syrup out of it by adding sugar and letting it sit can help. Raw garlic helps fight colds. I have been eating this and maybe that is why i haven't gotten any other cold symptoms, just the cough. And I also heard about vics vapor rub under socks on the feet for night time. Haven't tried it myself because my cough is during the day. Hope you get better soon!

I think i may have responded to your previous post, but i've been drinking garlic tea for the past 5 or 6 days and it really does seem to help. What i do is cut a clove of garlic into a few slices and let it sit in a cup of hot water for 10-15 minutes. You'll want to put a cover on the cup to avoid losing the garlic essence through evaporation. Then i add a tablespoon of honey and maybe 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and drink up. The garlic doesn't taste as bad as you'd think, and although i generally don't digest garlic very well, i can handle the liquid form just fine. Anyway my cough isn't 100% gone but i'm no longer coughing day and night.

Thanks ladies. Guess I need to work in trying some more if these. I thought my cough was getting better, but last night was terrible. I only got a couple hours of sleep.
About to head to the store, so might grab me some garlic or see if my mom had any left from her garden!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->