Could someone give me some co-sleeping guidance please?

Lillylemon

Mum to 1 little boy :-)
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my little boy is 10 days old and we've had him in our bed a few nights when hasn't settled. It feels lovely to sleep with him and to bf on my side and we all get amazing sleep - practically the whole night. But I want to make sure I'm doing it safely so could anyone tell me what I need to do? \We've had him in between us so far - literally with both of us at either side of bed! He sleeps on his side or back and I tuck a blanket under me so he can't wriggle.

I'd really appreciate any help or guidance. Also if we do this regularly is it likely we won't be able to move him to his cot-bed when he's older?

x

We co-slept for a good 7 months and then Em went into his own cot in his room with no problems. 'Rod for your back' criers might be disappointed to learn that co-sleeping babies aren't more clingy, quite the opposite actually.
Comprehensive safety advise is here

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070600.asp

Sleep well :D

Congrats on your new baby!!

There is good advice in the link above :)

We were the same as you, Oliver settled so much better snuggled up with mummy!! It just worked so much better for us. To begin with Oliver slept on my side of the bed, I would lay on my side with my underneath arm up, resting my head on it, and my legs bent up, so Oliver was kind of in a 'C' of mummy - if that makes any sence lol!! I found I was VERY aware of Oliver, so I woke as soon as he did etc and I always woke in the exact same position I fell asleep in etc.

Safety wise I made sure Oliver couldn't fall out of the bed, took the pillows off my side of the bed and swapped the duvet for sheets, though I always wrapped the sheets aroound my legs and made sure they were well away from Oliver. I don't drink or smoke etc so I was okay there.

When Oliver got to about six weeks old we set up a co-sleeper cot which was great. It took a few nights for him to get used to it but he's fine now. To me its perfect - we get the lovelyness of co-sleeping but we also get the space of our bed back! I also think its a good step towards the cotbed, though I dont want to even think about Oliver not sleeping next to me lol! Oh, and I do still wriggle him right over to me for a snuggle in a morning, he always gives me a huge smile and snuggles right up, its lovely!

Ive heard that you can cosleep the first 3 months (depending on babys size) using a moses basket, I would quite like to try this option as I'm scared that my boyfriend rolls over on baby, or I do.
I was thinking of putting the moses basket on my side, me in the middle and papa on the other side (our bed is boxed in against 3 walls with only access in or out from the bottom, so we cant fit a co sleeper).
What do you think, its safe??

Congrats!!
I love co-sleeping and George is such a happy, bubbly, secure little baby.
I'd recommend looking at the Unicef website, for their advice too, although Dr Sears rocks!!
I get soooo much more sleep & our breastfeeding became so well established when we started co-sleeping <3

Just make sure you keep pillows and covers well away from lo's head.
Also, you should swap heavy divers for thin sheets. In the winter, when it was really cold, we did an 'over & under' with our duvet, so it went over my hubby, under George (he had his own covers) then over me xxxx

Ive heard that you can cosleep the first 3 months (depending on babys size) using a moses basket, I would quite like to try this option as I'm scared that my boyfriend rolls over on baby, or I do.
I was thinking of putting the moses basket on my side, me in the middle and papa on the other side (our bed is boxed in against 3 walls with only access in or out from the bottom, so we cant fit a co sleeper).
What do you think, its safe??

Do you mean have the moses basket on the bed? I think that would be terribly uncomfortable for you and OH and also the baby wouldnt really be co sleeping, just sleeping in the basket! If you want the baby in the bed but separate, use a snuggle nest. It seems scary to think about co sleeping. I was scared when i realised that was what LO was wanting but it feels way more natural than it sounds tbh.

We use an Arms Reach Cosleeper cot most of the night as Kaiden prefers sleeping on his tummy and our bed is to soft for tummy sleeping. It works great, I love being abe to know when he's uncomfortable so I can easily comfort him. He will come in the bed when he feels like sleeping on his back or side and we snuggle. I only have sheets on the bed and he goes between me and the cot or me and DH.

Thanks, I did originally consider a snuggle nest but they look terribly uncomfy! It looks like they can only sleep on their back and not turn over if they want to, also looks like it would be grown out of pretty soon. I'm also not sure, until I buy it or see on on display how i can fit a cover over the foam mattress. I plan to cover the matress as I precaution as Ive heard it is the one of the causes of SIDS is from the fumes that come from the mattress, so ofcourse be covering our mattress aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->