Could there be a latch issue?

freddie

Mum of 3
Reaction score
I have an almost 4 week old. He is very unsettled after feeds and as far as I can tell he is having trouble passing gas - and seems to have a lot of it. He will cry and cry, arch his back, kick his legs - I feel awful for him.

In trying to figure out what could be causing the problem, I've been looking at his latch. He often seems to have a very loose latch and doesn't appear to have a complete seal on the breast if that makes sense? Milk will come out of the corners of his mouth. I don't know if this happens anyway or is because he isn't latched on properly. I don't have any pain and he is gaining plenty of weight.

Does it sound like his latch is too loose? Is that even a thing?!

I'm wondering as maybe he is swallowing too much air or something?

I hope this all makes sense... Any advice very much appreciated!

I don't think its the latch from what you've described but I could be wrong, you could try winding him a bit more? Both mine got this too, but alot of babies get it whichever way they are fed, it does pass eventually. We brought some stuff from the chemist to try to help the gas bubbles get out, I think we gave it before a feed. It's not nice for them as it must hurt like when we get trapped wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->