Council house tennancy help

Needhelpx

Reaction score
Im in a big dilemma, im so stressed over it i hope theres a solution, i am in the uk and have lived in this council home for many years with my mam and sister, my mam took really ill and she and my step dad decided he would move in and help out well he went right ahead and told where he was living he would be leaving etc, but my mam passed away a few weeks later before they had been able to go to the council to tell them he would be moving in. Since me and my mam were joint tennants the house was passed to me and now i am the tennancy holder, my dad has had to stay at his mums since my mam passed away because his mum was in hospital. Now shes out he needs to move in here, my little sister isnt doing well at school and she needs her dad so i said yes, however the problem is its a 3 bedroom house a room for me, my sister and my dad will stay in my mams room, im also almost 20 weeks pregnant and the space is very limited, i have a partner who wants us to live with him as he has a house and he doesnt want to be a part time dad, he couldnt move into our house with us as its crowded, i want my baby to be able to have his own room aswell. Its causing me so much stress because i just want to live with my partner and baby, i could keep the house on but it would mean making my dad and sister homeless they cant afford anywhere else right now, i am constantly thinking about it, it makes me cry, i feel pressured from both sides.

I have a meeting with my housing officer next week hopefully, she said i can have them as occupants and in one year apply for a joint tennancy where my dad would have equal rights with me and he would have to the power to kick me out.

What i'm really hoping is that somehow they might be able to give my dad a new tennancy to the house and i can be relieved of some stress and i can do what i feel is best for me, my partner and baby. Im so tired of thinking about it, i dont see a way out, its depressing me.

Any advice would be great.

P.s im sorry if i sound selfish, i posted on another site and was told that i need to stop moaning about it.

So sorry to hear about your mum hun :hugs:

Could you not put your dad onto the tenancy and then move out and then the tenancy will be in his name? I'm pretty sure that is a possibility so try not to stress yourself out over it. And as for whoever has told you to stop moaning.. Ignore them!! Forums are here for advice!

I hope you manage to get sorted :flower:

So sorry you lost your Mum x

Where did your step dad live before handing in his notice? I am assuming that he and your Mum had separated and he was moving back in to support your sister?

I'm not sure how much time has passed and how your sister is doing, but would her and your stepdad moving into a house together be an option? How would you feel if your stepdad left and your sister stayed with you and your partner?

I'm not saying your stepdad hasn't been supportive as I don't know the full circumstances, but he lived at his mum's rather than be with his bereaved daughter and is only moving in now that he can't stay at his mums house?

Different subject, but has your sister had some bereavement counselling? xx

I am assuming from your post that you have to wait a period of time before he can have joint tenancy? The housing officer does seem to have some good advice.

However in the councils eyes, they may want to use the home for someone who has been waiting for a 3 bed house, as it's technically oversized for just your Dad and Sister.

I know its been your home for many years but can the council not relocate your Dad and sister? I know it might not be the best option. :(

I know it's what you might not want to hear and I don't want to upset, but I'm just trying to think realistically for you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->