Couple of questions about purees

jacs

Mum of 2
Reaction score
Hi,

I've started making my own purees for Evan, and have some quick questions!
Do you put purees in the freezer straight away, or let them cool? Do you cover purees for hygiene, or leave them exposed to aid freezing?
Also, I read somewhere not to give babies canned food; is this because of added ingredients, e.g. sugar in baked beans, or is it something to do with the can itself? I have tinned pineapples, which only contain pineapple and pineapple juice, but not sure if they're tainted or something by the metal.

Thank you, and sorry for the list!!:flower:

Hi hun, I used to put the purees in the pots, put the lids on, leave them on the side to cool and then put them in the freezer. I'm not sure about tinned food tho, sorry :flower: xx

Tinned food is fine.

Ruby absolutely LOVES tinned pineapple and pear, those two fruits she prefers tinned to fresh.

Just buy fruit 'in juice' not 'in syrup'

We freeze the food in jars / pots and just cover them with cling film as I could never get the lids to stay on when they were frozen. I think it is better to cover them to avoid freezer burn.

I do tinned peaches for Abby as I find peeling and de-stoning fresh peaches is a real pain in the @ss! I do tend to rinse them though, even though they are apparently in "fruit juices" It does tend to be quite syrupy.

That's great, thankyou!:thumbup:

Yes I would only get fruit in the actual juice, the other stuff is too sweet even for me!
:flower:

That's great, thankyou!:thumbup:

Yes I would only get fruit in the actual juice, the other stuff is too sweet even for me!
:flower:

Thing is, it's not always easy. Try finding pineapples in pineapple juice - I never can!

if youer useing ice cube trays with no cover put cling film on as you will get freezer burn. And allways let food cool down befor puting in fige or freezer at room temp for no more than 1hr

Just wondered how long can you keep them in the fridge for once you have made the purees and they have cooled? Is 24 hours ok?

I do tinned peaches for Abby as I find peeling and de-stoning fresh peaches is a real pain in the @ss! I do tend to rinse them though, even though they are apparently in "fruit juices" It does tend to be quite syrupy.

Why didn't I think of that!! I absolutely hate preparing peaches!!! All the other fruits I'm ok with but I agree, peaches are a total pain in the backside!!

Just wondered how long can you keep them in the fridge for once you have made the purees and they have cooled? Is 24 hours ok?

It is recommended that fresh pureed homemade baby food be stored no longer than 48 hours (many food safety authorities say that 72 hour is fine.) in the refrigerator. This limit ensures that bacteria growth in the puree is kept to a minimum and that the food does not take on the "taste of the fridge". This "rule" applies for veggies, fruits, meats etc.

Whats freezer burn?? I put lids on things but just wondered.... xx

Freezer burn is where exposed food gets damaged by the cold. All food in the freezer should be covered to avoid it. You'll see it turns a different colour - usually lighter than the rest of the food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->