Couple of water birth questions.....

O

Ozzieshunni

Ok, this might be spawned from watching One Born Every Minute, lol, but I have a couple questions about water birth....

1) How likely is it to tear during a water birth?

2) :blush: TMI, sorry for this one......do people really go number 2 in the pool? I'm just thinking of the girl on the episode the other night. She didn't have a water birth, but kept talking about pooing herself.

3) Is it gross to be in the water full of blood and fluids after the baby is born or do you just not care?

4) I know I've read the opposite of this before, but can babies really inhale the water and it go into their lungs? Someone was telling me that his friend's baby had to be in the NICU because of this.

Thanks! :flower:

1) Not entirely sure. I've heard you are less likely to tear but midwife says it doesn't actually make a difference. She says the differences can generally be attributed to the fact that most women having a water birth will be doing it naturally, coupled with the fact that they are more relaxed in the water than dry land etc, which in turn contributes to less tearing.

2) Yes, if you are birthing in a pool, you may very well poop in there. The small amount of space baby has to get into the world, everything down there is squeezed out, so if you have anything in your bowels, it's going to come out! :lol: Midwives will have little sives to take it straight out though, they aren't going to just leave it in there!

3) Haven't experienced a water birth myself, but from every photo I've seen of women who have just had a water birth, they aren't looking around disgusted at the blood and other fluids in the water - they are staring with love and awe at their little baby that just entered the world.

ETA: OOps forgot 4) Not if you give birth under the water. Baby will not take its first breath until its face is exposed to air. The only way your baby would inhale water is if you lift it out, it takes a breath and then you dunk under water again.

Hiya Mrs Hunni

1 -There are no studies as such into the likelyhood for tearing in water as apposed to land, but statically (from birthing data in the uk 2009), there were less tears needing sutures after waterbirth. Although this could be for a number of factors - such as the decrease in women with natal problems birthing in water in general. But most women do find it helps and water does make your skin more supple.

2 - Yes, you could poo in the water just the same as on land. If there is any large faecal matter in your rectum while baby is descended into the pelvis and through the birth canal, it will be pushed out through the pressure of babies head being born. (so right at the end) However, most women experience a deli-belly like feeling before active labour starts and evacuate there bowls beforehand naturally.

3 and 4 - it’s yours and babies blood if there is any, and it all sterile, more so than the water your will be sitting in. Also if you poo in the water, there is a case to say it is desirable for baby to become colonised with mothers germs - but not in the lungs, this goes for both your poo and babies poo. Baby shouldn’t have the reflex to breath until they are lifted to the cooler sensation of air, and will still be getting all nutrients from mum until breathing. Remember blood in water looks a lot more than it really is! It only takes a very small amount to turn it pink. If you have a physiological 3rd stage in the water, as the placenta comes away there will be separation blood and this also will colour your water.

Hope this helps.

What the others said, plus

4) I know I've read the opposite of this before, but can babies really inhale the water and it go into their lungs? Someone was telling me that his friend's baby had to be in the NICU because of this.

This is why they keep the water at 37C, because its the same temp as amniotic fluid so there is nothing to trigger your baby to take a breath of air. You can have the water colder (as it feels very warm) while you labour, and then get the temp increased when you get to the last stages.

However, I've never heard of a baby ending up in the NICU as the result of breathing in water. I think that's probably a case of your friend telling you something he heard his about a friend of a friend, or the baby was headed to NICU for something else anyway (eg Meconium aspiration syndrome) and it's got a bit confused with the baby having had a water birth.

Thank you so much for the reassurance Adelicia :hugs:

Thanks everyone! I feel so much more excited and secure about having a water birth.

I've just had a waterbirth at home and what the ladies say up there is all true :)

This pic shows how much (if any) blood was in the pool after delivery. This was with a very small tear which only required one stitch (9lb 13.5oz baby!!) and the pic was taken as he was handed to me :)

Hope this helps :)

XxX:kiss:

Attachments

• SAM_0082.jpg
    SAM_0082.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member