Couple Questions!

MissMandieMitz

Mommy of 2 :)
Reaction score
These are probably really silly questions...but oh well.

1. Maxson is currently in the NICU and is feeding every 3 hours (3, 6, 9 12)....when he comes home should I stick to this schedule??

2. Can formula milk be made and then put in the fridge for later?? Like could I make a few bottles for his night time feedings before I go to bed and then warm them once it's time for him to eat?

I originally had no intentions of FF so I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

Hi, Mandie.

Regarding the routine, I guess just do whatever is working and work with him to keep it flexible, for both his benefit and for yours.

About storing made-up formula:

https://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/formula/storeinfridgeexpert/

And more about formula feeding in general:

https://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/formula/

HTH. :hugs:

Hi, Mandie.

Regarding the routine, I guess just do whatever is working and work with him to keep it flexible, for both his benefit and for yours.

About storing made-up formula:

https://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/formula/storeinfridgeexpert/

And more about formula feeding in general:

https://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/formula/

HTH. :hugs:

Tyvm :)

I figured that I wouldnt be able to make bottles for later use. But, I wanted to be sure because I remember reading that book that Kate (from Jon & Kate plus 8 ) wrote and she made bottles and put them in the fridge. I've heard people say it's okay and people say it's not :dohh:

1. Maxson is currently in the NICU and is feeding every 3 hours (3, 6, 9 12)....when he comes home should I stick to this schedule??
- If you can I would say stick to the schedule, but it's really up to him. I feed Elyse on demand because I find I can't make her take the bottle, just gets her upset and me frustrated.. so while it's unpredictable, it's what's working out best for us right now:)

2. Can formula milk be made and then put in the fridge for later?? Like could I make a few bottles for his night time feedings before I go to bed and then warm them once it's time for him to eat?
- I make formula from the liquid concentrate you mix with equal parts water.. it comes in a can? You can absolutely put it in the fridge for later! They sell them in 385mL cans, and I'm sorry but Elyse is NEVER going to eat like 800mL worth of formula at once, lol.

I bought a brand new container that seals really well, it's by Starfrit.. Pop and Lock or something.. anyways it has a spout to pour that locks down and the whole lid seals really tightly. Also I use boiled water to make up the formula that I've let cool if that explanation make sense?

You have to use the formula up within 48 hours of making it up and once you've started a bottle, like heated it up and that, it's only good for 1 hour. So you can't save half a bottle then use it again at the next feed.

BTW I read that it is advised you don't use the powdered formula mix at all with newborns, and you only use the concentrate that's sold in cans, because the powder is not sterile whereas the concentrate is?

yes they don't recommend the powder formula for premies or babies who have had problems. i'd definitely stick to his routine though hun its what he's gotten used to. :hugs:

Where have you girls read this about not giving newborns powdered formula? ive seen a couple of people say this over the last few days.

You were always fine to give newborns powdered formula so im interested to know whats changed.

Mandie - yes to both your questions, try to keep to the schedule you already have, and formula is fine to store but i wouldnt for any longer than 24 hours :)

I've never heard don't give a newborn powdered formula...just premies and babies who have had it rough since birth. The hospital actually gave me a can of powdered formula to take with me in case I needed it when we left.

So its more with reference to preemies then and not newborns?

Id just heard so many people saying it lately and i sat here thinking to myself "well ready made formula was only introduced a couple of years ago ... it was powder or nothing before then lol"

OK seriously why would the can not be sterilized ? it has to be in order for the powder to go in , I dont think formula making companies are that ignorant lol max was born at 36.5 weeks and always had powder and he was fine?

as for bottles I make a 26onz bottle pre-made and put it in the fridge like the girls said as long as its used with in 48 hrs

i think its just a warning for them to save their own ass lol i think about all of these guidelines and things that are out now about what to do and not do with your baby and think of how my parents never had those guidelines and I'm still here lol like when i was born babies were supposed to sleep on their stomachs etc etc...

exactly

oh and btw stupid questions are those never asked hun !

Molly was a prem baby in NICU and was fed powdered formula in there. They used to make it up in the fridge and keep it for up to 24 hours. I stuck to her routione as much as poss but you have to be flexible too.

Where have you girls read this about not giving newborns powdered formula? ive seen a couple of people say this over the last few days.

You were always fine to give newborns powdered formula so im interested to know whats changed.

Mandie - yes to both your questions, try to keep to the schedule you already have, and formula is fine to store but i wouldnt for any longer than 24 hours :)

I read it in one of my pregnancy magazines, I'm not sure which one because I was reading several, but it didn't say absolutely do not it just suggested to use the concentrate over powder. They did not provide a reason, maybe just covering their tushes like someone else mentioned? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->