crack on nipple from pumping

hopingforit

Reaction score
I've had a crack on my nipple for a couple of months now. Every time I pump, it gets very sore and causes white stringy stuff on it (sorry tmi). I know the cause of it is just the fact that I pump 4 times a day for 45 minutes each as my milk takes forever to come. The flange fits. I've tried a bigger one and it doesn't work. It started out as a blister that broke open and hasn't healed but now I'm getting a blister on my other nipple and am worried about it happening again. I use medela cream afterwards and rubbed breastmilk on it but even that isn't helping. Lowering my pumping time or sessions would help I think but it also lowers my milk supply and I like to limit the amount of formula I give my twins and if also like to pump until they are 1 do I don't want to hurt my supply. Does anyone have any suggestions? Not only is it very very painful, DH is worried it will cause some problem with blood or other stuff getting in my milk but it just won't heal up.

The only time I had/have cracked nipples is when DD nurses on one side more than the other. I sometimes will get a sore nipple while pumping if nipple is in an "off" position (hard to explain :dohh: ) but rearranging the location of my nipple quickly ceases the pain from that. Sometimes I would have to rearrange 3-4 times to get it JUST right where I was not feeling pain AND I was pumping milk out. I suppose you have to work on the "latch" with a pump like you would with the latch of a baby :shrug: I know I do anyway. If I don't get my nipple in there just right not only do I not get much milk out but it hurts like hell!!! I rub breastmilk and sometimes coconut oil on my sore nipples when they crack and offer the other side more to get the cracked nipple a break.

Not sure if I helped you much :blush:
Good luck! :flower:

I had horrendous blisters - I got Jelonet dressings from the practice nurse. You cut a square of it and pop it over your nipple with a breast pad on top. Worked wonders for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->