Cracks not healing

Doodlebug88

Reaction score
On Sunday I will have reached my 1 month bf milestone - yay!
BUT since early on I have had a cracked nipple which did bleed at the start but now is just cracked. I've tried breast milk and leaving it to dry, lots if time in the air when I can and also using lanolin before feeds to not hurt as much and after feeds. I also change positions regularly but all rather uncomfortable. It is still not healed and is sore to feed at times. Any suggestions of what else I can try or anyone had this can let me know how long yours took to heal?

TIA

I had that problem and started using nipple shields. It helped them heal much faster! I only used them for like 2 weeks then was able to go to natural again

Mine were cracked and bled for about 8 weeks. I finally saw a lactation consultant who taught me to squeeze my boob (4 fingers on top, thumb on bottom), place it in my LO's mouth, and hold it there for several seconds. I had been letting my DD draw the nipple in on her own. Within a few days, no more bleeding or pain! This may not be a cure-all for everyone, but it corrected my problem. Hang in there!

Thank you littlenugget. I tried it although I used 4 fingers on bottom and thumb on top so my nipple stuck out more and it didn't hurt as much. Will try it for a few days and see if it helps. My nipples are quite flat and I think my ds pulls them out which isn't helping the cracks. His latch is fine as once he is on it doesn't hurt just want the cracks to go now. Thanks for the great tip

I hope it helps! In the end, I think it just takes time for those cracks to heal. And using them round the clock doesn't give them much chance to rest. Don't give up and before you know it, you won't feel anything when your LO latches on. Way to persevere a month already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->