Crap! I ate Feta!

A lot of those cheeses are pasturised nowadays. I inspected the goats cheese things I used to have last time at the supermarket and they're pasturised! Yippee!!

Hi am a midwife...
I adv women avoid anything that is unpasturised. soft cheeses such as Brie Camebert etc should not be eaten along with mould ripened cheese.
Feta in UK is usually ok as long as pasturised.

If in doubt avoid!! Although risk is small for things such as listeria, like anything it is only a risk... someone has to be that one!

Be safe if in doubt consult midwife/OB etc

good luck. x

Hi am a midwife...
I adv women avoid anything that is unpasturised. soft cheeses such as Brie Camebert etc should not be eaten along with mould ripened cheese.
Feta in UK is usually ok as long as pasturised.

If in doubt avoid!! Although risk is small for things such as listeria, like anything it is only a risk... someone has to be that one!

Be safe if in doubt consult midwife/OB etc

good luck. x

You are brave admitting being a midwife on here - you will be inudated with questions!! Congrats on your pregancy :hugs:

Hi Lesli45 i did eaxctly the same thing yesterday, i love feta and it had said on babycentre that it was okay so didn't thhink about it again until i say your post. I found this and realised that probably all of the feta in canteen salads and in supermarkets are made out of pasturised milk .
this was on a cheese website!!
Listeria infection in pregnant women is very rare in the UK, only affecting one in 20,000 pregnancies. Provided you avoid foods with a high risk, you are very unlikely to be affected.

Unpasteurised cheeses imported from abroad or made by small producers are also safe to eat in pregnancy provided they are made from cow's milk and are not mould-ripened or blue-veined. The Food Standards Agency states that listeria is present in these cheeses in very low numbers and they are therefore not considered a risk during pregnancy. On the other hand, unpasteurised milk (from any animal) is not considered safe. In the USA, pregnant women are advised to avoid feta cheese because of the risk of listeria, but the feta cheese sold in the UK is considered safe to eat during pregnancy.

Cheeses which are SAFE to eat in pregnancy

Hard cheeses:
austrian smoked, Babybel, caerphilly, cheddar, cheshire, derby, double gloucester, edam, emmental, english goat's cheddar, feta (if bought in the UK), gouda, gruyere, halloumi, havarti, jarlsberg, lancashire, mozzarella, orkney, paneer, parmesan, pecorino (hard), provolone, red leicester.

Thanks for this, i LOVE cheese but you have just made me hungry:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->