Cravings/Hunger??

cskme_

Reaction score
I have been doing soo good for the past week with eating super healthy, staying within a reasonable calorie range (if I don't count my calories I will overeat, a lot). I was considered overweight before becoming pregnant and now I am considered as obese as I have already gained close to 40lbs already due to a thyroid issue that I have just gotten stabilized. I lost 5 lbs in the past week and a half just by drinking 2L of water every day, not eating junk and going for lots of walks. I have been feeling great!
Anyways today I am super hungry, I have eaten yogurt with berries, a spinach and feta egg wrap, a peach, taco salad, a nut and seed bar. It is only 1 in the afternoon where I am and I cant seem to shake this hunger.
The worst part about it is all I can think about is a big greasy slice of pizza with garlic dip. I thought I was one of the lucky ones who doesn't get cravings. I was wrong.
Anyways, any ideas to help with cravings or curbing hunger?
Sometimes a hardboiled egg or nuts will help with my hunger.
Anyone have any tricks for getting through cravings or things to eat when your hunger just cant be satisfied??

You could be extra hungry because you're baby is having a growth spurt in there. I have GD so have to be pretty careful what I eat but have found good snacks to be veggie sticks, nuts, protein bars, apple slices with peanut butter, crackers with cream cheese and if I fancy something sweet I have a couple of squares of dark chocolate or some no added sugar Angel Delight.
As for the pizza craving, if you don't want to go all out on the pizza you could have a homemade one. I do them with a wholemeal tortilla for the base, then make my own pizza sauce (shop bought ones tend to be too high in sugar for me) and add cheese and whatever toppings I fancy.
Don't be too hard on yourself about needing to eat more on some days, listen to your appetite and you'll be fine.

You could be extra hungry because you're baby is having a growth spurt in there. I have GD so have to be pretty careful what I eat but have found good snacks to be veggie sticks, nuts, protein bars, apple slices with peanut butter, crackers with cream cheese and if I fancy something sweet I have a couple of squares of dark chocolate or some no added sugar Angel Delight.
As for the pizza craving, if you don't want to go all out on the pizza you could have a homemade one. I do them with a wholemeal tortilla for the base, then make my own pizza sauce (shop bought ones tend to be too high in sugar for me) and add cheese and whatever toppings I fancy.
Don't be too hard on yourself about needing to eat more on some days, listen to your appetite and you'll be fine.

Lol that's funny I've already decided when I go home I'm going to make myself a snack platter with grapes, cheese and crackers, some apple slices with peanut butter, maybe some almonds. Sounds good to me! And yes the homemade pizza sounds wonderful I think DH would like that also, something new! Thank you :D

I was going to say growth spurt as well, a couple weeks back I did wonder if the hand to mouth action would ever stop, I was constantly hungry and constantly eating it did worry me as I started the [pregnancy very over weight as it was I'm also diabetic so was beginning to also worry about the babies size :wacko:

I was going to say growth spurt as well, a couple weeks back I did wonder if the hand to mouth action would ever stop, I was constantly hungry and constantly eating it did worry me as I started the [pregnancy very over weight as it was I'm also diabetic so was beginning to also worry about the babies size :wacko:

I've never even heard of a growth spurt causing hunger, it never really crossed my mind but it makes sense. I ate a bit extra today. Baby gets what baby wants I guess lol

Make sure you're getting enough protein! And it's ok to indulge your cravings within reason. Like, I let myself have a sweet each day, but not a HUGE portion and only one per day. And I try to skip days when I can, but otherwise try to keep my portion size small and fill up on healthy things, like fruit. So have that slice of pizza, just don't eat the whole pizza! :D Also, make sure you're staying well hydrated, as sometimes that can make you feel hungry but you might just be thirsty. Don't stress too much, mama, as long as you and baby are doing well and you're doing your best to keep you both healthy.

Make sure you're getting enough protein! And it's ok to indulge your cravings within reason. Like, I let myself have a sweet each day, but not a HUGE portion and only one per day. And I try to skip days when I can, but otherwise try to keep my portion size small and fill up on healthy things, like fruit. So have that slice of pizza, just don't eat the whole pizza! :D Also, make sure you're staying well hydrated, as sometimes that can make you feel hungry but you might just be thirsty. Don't stress too much, mama, as long as you and baby are doing well and you're doing your best to keep you both healthy.

Thanks for that! I ended up going home and eating a plate with grapes, cheese, one slice of rye bread with peanut butter and bananas, and a glass of milk. It seemed to do the trick. Some sweet, some savory. I got over the craving for pizza, though I'm sure it will come back lol!

Cravings are kind of unavoidable. Sounds like you have a lot of great strategies and protein definitely goes a long way toward feeling full. Hydration as well.

The only thing I have to add is just to make the best choice you can at the time. I'm just miserable if I'm hungry and I don't eat. So I do the 'Am I really hungry?' check. Then it's a matter of mitigating the damage. Sometimes you need a little healthy fat or protein or whole grain.

I second eating more protein. Sometimes I do the hunger test. If I feel hungry, I'll ask if I'm hungry for some nuts/hard boiled egg/cheese stick, if the answer is no, I want (some carb laden snack) then I know it's about mouth hunger, not stomach hunger. Then I try to compromise, cheese with a couple of pretzels, or whatever.

I found and extra glass of milk with my snack helps. I have had a few middle of the night snack attacks and find that a glass of milk and a snack bar wasn't doing the trick so I poured another big glass of milk and chug it and it seemed to really help and I was able to fall back asleep

I don't have much of an appetite but I do crave watermelon like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->