Crib V Cotbed - Cant make a decision

Jacey

Reaction score
Im trying to decide between a crib & a cotbed for the baby.

Prior to falling pregnant we were planning to move house, however those plans are on hold until after the baby arrives but we hope to have moved and be settled by next xmas, baby due end of feb 2010.

The nursery is a small box room, most cotbeds are obviously bigger as they last longer, a crib would be better sized for the room but pricewise they are not much cheaper and from what i have seen generally only suit the baby for 6-9 months.

My OH doesnt want a used cot or crib - buying a crib at full price doesnt seem very economical but then a cotbed could just make the room too cramped. Its driving me nuts as I cant make a decision and my OH just leaves it to me. I think if I saw a cheapish crib which would last till approx 9 mths then id buy it.

Hate being so indecisive xx

Try, IKEA they have an inbetween so it is a cot which you can take one side off when the lo is big enough to get up itself, you will still need to upgrade after about 2-3 years but you might only get a year out of a crib. They start at £59 and I think the dearest was £75.

Hope that helps.

a cot is a little smaller than a cot bed , how about making room for one of them ? it will last until baby is 18 months - 2 years ish an then he / she could go in a normal single bed with a side added to stop them falling out?
i agree that buying a full price crib seems a bit daft as they cost so much and babies grow so fast...
or how about buying a used crib and a new materess for it ? i would always have a new matress for a new baby but wouldnt be bothered about a used cot/ crib etc.. as long as it is in good condition.

I know its a hard decison. We have the house up for sale, so we could be moving at anytime! people have been telling me to get a moses basket but we thought we would get a crib first instead, which will last longer and were hoping that will do us until we move. its also smaller to move than a cot. We then plan on getting a cot at a later date. I have heard people saying they are getting cots from birth, a sleeping bag would be a good idea, then baby still feels snug inside it.

Sorry I couldnt help you more, Its so hard to decide!! good luck! xxx

I thought crib was same as a cot. Lol

We bought our cot from Ikea for 49 pounds it lasted till amber was 13months old.

Yes I have the ikea one thats inbetween and its big but not too big - just big enough !lol!

thanks everyone, hadnt thought of ikea, will have a nosey at them xx

I have both! I brought a crib (Second hand off ebay!) because they are small and can be moved around easily so can have baba in our room/downstairs/wherever in a proper bed :)

https://www.johnlewis.com/230191454/Product.aspx

I got that for £35 pick up and its in absolutly mint cond!!!

I also have a gorgeous wood mamas and pappas cotbed which I got given to me second hand and that will obviously stay in babys room :) !

Does it really matter about buying second hand as long as its in a nice good condition?
Being as your OH isnt really giving any input i think you should decide whether you want to buy new or not! I wouldnt use a secondhand matress but in my eyes buying a second hand crib/cot frame and getting some new decent matresses seems like a better idea and more cost friendly?? you can get some really decent quality ones that are pretty expensive to buy new for a fraction of the price!

Good luck on your hunt hun :)

Always remember there are places like freecycle and eBay which you can pick up amazing baragins and freebies!!!

:hugs:

I have both! I brought a crib (Second hand off ebay!) because they are small and can be moved around easily so can have baba in our room/downstairs/wherever in a proper bed :)

https://www.johnlewis.com/230191454/Product.aspx

I got that for £35 pick up and its in absolutly mint cond!!!

I also have a gorgeous wood mamas and pappas cotbed which I got given to me second hand and that will obviously stay in babys room :) !

Does it really matter about buying second hand as long as its in a nice good condition?
Being as your OH isnt really giving any input i think you should decide whether you want to buy new or not! I wouldnt use a secondhand matress but in my eyes buying a second hand crib/cot frame and getting some new decent matresses seems like a better idea and more cost friendly?? you can get some really decent quality ones that are pretty expensive to buy new for a fraction of the price!

Good luck on your hunt hun :)

Always remember there are places like freecycle and eBay which you can pick up amazing baragins and freebies!!!

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"