cruise with 18month baba-your experiences and views please x

dovehouse

Reaction score
looking at a cruise for october, lo will be 18months, anyone been on one? looking at a royal carribean cruise round the med for a week. just wanted to hear peoples views and experiences. was either that or go to somewhere like spain and hire an apartment.
x

We're looking at cruises too, thinking Disney or NCL but undecided as we won't be able to take him in the pool as no babies are allowed in pools on cruises in swim nappies.

I think most cruises have lots of family things to do so you'll be able to enjoy it still.

We will cruise this Summer (well either June or September - Caribbean with Royal Caribbean). We have cruised a lot before and know that we could get it to work for us. LO eats what we will, so that isn't a problem. Will take big supply of nappies, wipes, healthy toddler snacks with us. Currently contemplating taking the inlaws too....

Which ship are you looking to sail on? One thing to be aware of is that there are no pools for "none toilet trained" children (swim nappy is not acceptable) on any ship apart from the Freedom and Genesis class ships (on those there is a special baby pool - they can't go in the other pools).

Also, RC do not have self-service laundries - you have to pay per item to have them laundered: can be an issue with toddlers (fine if you are prepared to pay for it though).

QT

oooh didnt know that about the nappy thing, how comes?thats a bt daft!is that on all cruises?
x

ah ok so which cruises do have a self service laundrette facility?

We're looking at cruises too, thinking Disney or NCL but undecided as we won't be able to take him in the pool as no babies are allowed in pools on cruises in swim nappies.

I think most cruises have lots of family things to do so you'll be able to enjoy it still.

All Disney ships have a baby pool. Disney have self-service laundries.

I have never cruised NCL.

Disney are generally more expensive than RC. RC has more to entertain adts - we will do Disney again when LO is a bit older to appreciate it.

oooh didnt know that about the nappy thing, how comes?thats a bt daft!is that on all cruises?
x

As far as I know, all cruiselines ban children that "aren't toilet trained" from their main pools. Certainly all of the main ones. Some cruiselines offer specific "baby" pools (which non-toilet trained children can use) on SOME (but not all) ships. As I said, RC offer baby pools on the Genesis (Oasis and Allure) and Freedom (Freedom, Liberty, Independence) class of ships and Disney has a baby pool on all ships. The baby pool can be pretty small (it is on Disney Magic and Wonder).

The reason is that "swim nappies" only hold in the solid lumps of poo (assuming they are done up well): watery poo and urine will flow straight out. Although older children (and some adults!) may also wee in swimming pools, their wee is not flowing past lumps of poo (so the sterile wee can pick up "not so sterile" things from the poo) :wacko:.

Keep in mind that, in a normal swimming pool, children/adults get pool water in their mouths and eyes (some children actively drink pool water). Any germs/nasties from poo can then enter the other pool user's system and .... :sick:. Cruiselines are PARTICULARLY sensitive about the transmission of germs that may cause stomach bugs and noro-virus...

Still, when you think it through, being in any pool that just allows babies to swim in swim nappies is considerable less appealing.... :nope:

We swim with Waterbabies and use a neoprene over-trunks over a swim nappy - this is supposed to hold solids and liquids in (not sure how successful it is - swim nappy is never dry when we take it off). However most people, on holiday, would just use a swim nappy - not very hugienic at all.

Disney have self-service laundries, so do Princess, I think (so likely that P&O does too). Not sure about the others - you would need to go to each cruiseline's website.

Cruise appeals to us because we can go to difference places without packing and unpacking and lots of access to good food without going far. It can work very well for a family, but you have to do your research.

QT

Oh wow, we took LO on a cruise for 2 weeks round the Med last Summer when he was just 6 months old and it was amazing! We're probably going to do it again next year because we loved it so much. We went on a family friendly P&O cruise from Southampton. So many good things to say about it. The no-fly option was a big plus for us, as well as the easy dining arrangements. We used to take LO to dinner with us, give him his bottle and then he'd fall asleep in the buggy. We could then take him to the night nursery where 2 nannies watch over the sleeping babes and give you a pager. If they wake up they page you immediately. It was soooo nice to know he was safe and looked after while we relaxed and had some 'us' time. I really can't recommend it enough. We met a few other families doing the same thing and we have all raved about it ever since. The staff are really baby friendly - anything you need they bend over backwards to get it for you. We took loads of our own food for him etc. but there was no need as they give you Hipp Organic jars in the restaurant if you need them. You'll have a fantastic time - I'm so jealous! :happydance:

PS - we didn't really use the daytime kid facilities much as LO was too small but from what I saw the toddlers had a great time too. They had a little kids splash pool, a big soft play area and did loads of activities with them. The kids area staff were all lovely too, and the kids seemed to adore them.

PPS - P&O have several self-service laundries on each deck. Doesn't cost anything and I never had trouble getting a machine, and with a 6 month old we did A LOT of laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->