Crying at School

A

adamantine

DS1 started school last week and there was tears on the first day which was expected like alot of the other kids but the next day it was all good and he was really excited!

then on wednesday the tears started again in the playground after the bell rang and we were all gettng the kids to line up to file in. same yesterday and same today.

he comes out of school so full of excitement and wont stop talking about his day and today he even told me he wanted to go and play at one of the boys houses after school!

he lacks confidence and he is very wary about trying new things and always says he cant do things but once he tries it he is a very clever young man and manages everything first time. i think he is nervous and overwhelmed with everything.

the school is using jolly phonics which moves so fast and he has done 3 different letters this week and i think its confusing him a bit with his speech therapy coz they are grouped differently but the actions and representations are exactly the same. i spoke with his speech therapist and she said he was very tentative again when she went to see him this week (first time he has seen her in a school setting) and is taking his therapy down a step till he regains his confidence but what do i do every morning?

he starts full days on monday and will be staying at school for lunch. they only get 45 mins and it would take over 30 mins to walk home and back so its not feesable to take him home.

anyone experience this? any advice? thanks in advance!

Aw, sorry he's finding it hard to settle in... I am sorry I can't be much help as my two both settled well when starting school but it sounds like your lad has more to deal with re. speech therapy etc... I hope he settles soon.

All the best xx

Well it is quite common for kids to cry when they go to school; for the starting few days, it is generally recommended that you take your kid to some preschool so that they become familiar with the environment and prepare them for the change.

I'm not sure about the speech therapy but in regards to him crying the best thing you can do is try not to make a fuss and literally just walk him into school and leave. I know it sounds horrible but teachers are used to it and making a fuss usually makes them get more upset.

It will be hard for you aswell but it will get better :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->