crying MORE before sleeping?

T

tinytoes

for the last week we've given up rocking LO to sleep. I feed him, cuddle him, close the blind in his bedroom with him then pop him in to bed. Kiss his ehad adn walk out.

He still does go to sleep on his own, but it seems as if he's figured out whats going on and is crying harder than ever when I put him down?
I'm not giving in - I want this to work, and it's not a sad cry, it's a tantrum "I dont want to be left in bed alone" cry, and I know full well he can clam himself and go to sleep alone.
I leave him and if he's still at it after 10 i'll go in, pick him up and cuddle until he's calm and then i put him down again. Usually i only have to pick him up and calm him once.

But his initial anger seems to be getting more and more...please tell me it will get better??....

didnt want to read and run i have no experience of older babies sleep but i do controlled crying with amelia and she can also calm herself so i leave her to it if its a tantrum but if its a real cry i comfort her then when she chilled a bit put her down again

Gem x

What time do you put him to bed? He may be overtired and getting more worked up because of it... If Jasmine isn't in her bed, she is sleeping around 7... I give her a bottle at 8 and sge goes into her bed then awake or asleep.

What time do you put him to bed? He may be overtired and getting more worked up because of it... If Jasmine isn't in her bed, she is sleeping around 7... I give her a bottle at 8 and sge goes into her bed then awake or asleep.

he's always to bed at 7. this is going on at nap times too. he naps every 2 hours at least. any longer and he's a nightmare to get to sleep. i think hes just figured out exactly what happend when i put him in his bed...ie i no longer rock him to sleep, and he isnt best pleased.

we've recently started putting Alasdair down, and letting him get himself off to sleep. The first night it took 20 mins (of fairly constant crying) and it was really hard work. I went in every 3 or so minutes and put his mobile on, put dentinox on his gums and then gave him his dummy and comfort blanket. I think the mobile is the real trick, he's usually asleep before it's finished it's cycle now (it probably only lasts 3-4 mins) and we don't put dentinox on unless he doesn't go down. That hasn't happened since the first night.

It sounds like Teddy is being clever and knows something isn't right but maybe a diversion tactic, like a mobile might help him too? I don't think it'd work for Ally without it.

It sounds like Teddy is being clever and knows something isn't right but maybe a diversion tactic, like a mobile might help him too? I don't think it'd work for Ally without it.

yes i do have a muscial mobile with flashy lights too. But it seems as if it's losing it's interest to him. I stopped going in every few minutes. The mroe I go in the louder he seems to be. I'll maybe go in if he's still protesting after 5 or 10 minutes...am I cruel?! He's not crying in sadness, just protesting that I have put him to bed.
Earlier he was shouting away and threw his dummy out of his cot, so I went up and picked it up and gave it him back. Well, that was the worst thing I could do, because he started shouting even more after I'd left then - so I think going in can sometimes be worse?!
I wont leave him for longer than 10 minutes shouting...i'm not cruel...honest. I just know full well that he can calm himself, and that he can go to sleep on his own, and that he's warm, fed, winded, loved etc.
If he was crying a proper cry - likea sad and teary cry - then it'd be a different matter.
Tonight it was about 15 minutes before he went off so its not so bad i guess. just noisy.little monkey.

you sound like you're trying to convince yourself that you're doing the right thing! But you totally are so you shouldn't worry. Like you said, you know the difference between cries. Some babies just do cry as they're getting themselves off to sleep. Alasdair cries more when he goes to sleep in the day in a protest type way. 15 mins is so good, and I'm sure that once he gets used to it, it'll get quicker and quicker with less and less crying. I think you're right to try and elongate the time, for older babies they don't need someone going in every couple of minutes. I think that'd actually stop Alasdair going to sleep more than anything. The dummy thing is hard though. If he won't go to sleep without it you had no choice but to go back in really!

He's just really clever and knows what's going on I think! Not like my simple little man lol.

you sound like you're trying to convince yourself that you're doing the right thing! But you totally are so you shouldn't worry. Like you said, you know the difference between cries. Some babies just do cry as they're getting themselves off to sleep. Alasdair cries more when he goes to sleep in the day in a protest type way. 15 mins is so good, and I'm sure that once he gets used to it, it'll get quicker and quicker with less and less crying. I think you're right to try and elongate the time, for older babies they don't need someone going in every couple of minutes. I think that'd actually stop Alasdair going to sleep more than anything. The dummy thing is hard though. If he won't go to sleep without it you had no choice but to go back in really!

He's just really clever and knows what's going on I think! Not like my simple little man lol.

THANKS BETHANYLEE!! - i was so trying to convince myself I'm doing the right thing - i feel really guilty leaving him to cry several times a day. Still...i't'll get better.- Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->