Cupcakes what am i doing wrong

cassysuri2010

Suri Young
Reaction score
Ok so i use 125g unsalted butter, 125g caster sugar, 125g self raising flour, 2 eggs, vanilla essence, and 2 tables spoon of milk, mix it all together etc.

I put it on the middle shelf at 200 for fifteen minutes.

They come out a lil burnt, not risen as well as i would have hoped and are a little dry?! I dont get it. Ive tried a few attempts and they all come out the same. :cry:

Anyone got any tips?!!!!! or a better recipe. I need to get this right!

Thank you!!! :dohh:

I use a 50/50 mix of plain and sefl raising flour, from the recipes i use (though my measurements are bigger) you could do with less butter and more milk. Im roughly guessing but id say you need 1-2oz of milk for a mixture of that size

Also what order do you make them in? I go ... butter & sugar, add one egg at a time, add 1/3rd of my flour, then a bit of milk, then another 1/3rd of flour, then more milk, then the last 1/3rd of flour and then the rest of milk and vanilla essence

Are you getting plenty of air into the mixture too? I've been making cakes for bloomin' ages (took part in shows etc as a kid) and my ex comes in and whisks the mixture like crazy one day and it's completely different! Lovely and light and airy... I was jealous. Now I have an electric whisk!! :thumbup:

When I find mixtures turn out consistently a little drier than I'd hope, I add a little bit more milk. :)

Also maybe try leaving them a little shorter time in the oven, my oven at home (UK) cooks things differently to my oven here (US home :lol:)...I just check them (though be careful if you're opening and closing the oven door as that can make them deflate..) and when they're going a nice golden brown colour on top I poke a skewer into the middle of one of the cakes and if it comes out clean then I take them out...the heat lets them continue cooking a little longer too.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->