Currently 5 weeks.. No ultrasound until 12 WEEKS?!

babytimeee

Reaction score
I called and set up an appointment with another OB today as I didn't want to deliver at the hospital that the prior OB was associated with. NO mention of an ultrasound WHAT-SO-EVER! I'm really irritated--with my first DD I had an ultrasound at 7 weeks, 12, and 20. Now they're completely bypassing a dating scan? Is this weird to anyone else? I'd like to announce my pregnancy but not until I hear a heartbeat and before 12 weeks. I'm reallllllly not happy about it

I have never had a dating scan, my first scan has always been the 12 week first trimester screening scan, unless I decline it, then its at just the 20 week. It seems forever right now, but the time will pass! I just had my 12 week scan this morning, and while the wait seemed long, it also came up fast if that makes sense.

thats pretty standard here.. if you are not considered high risk and know your LMP there is usually just a 20 week anatomy scan and thats it!

Like you I switched ob/gyn when I found out I was pregnant because my previous ob didn't do a scan until 12 weeks. I looked for a new ob from ones that did a dating scan. When you have had an early loss that peace of mind is critical.

I got a dating scan as well, I would look for one who does for peace of mind.I've had two dating scans so far first one baby was too small to measure, had anotht at 11&4, I will get one at 16 weeks, 20 weeks, then 4D and one near end of my pregnancy

I did IVF so it may be a little different, but I had my first ultrasound at 5w6d when we saw a nice yolk sack. Next one was at 8 weeks to see the heartbeat and on Sunday i go for my 10w one. I assume there will be another one at 12w! I would personally go crazy if I had to wait until 12 weeks! If you are nervous, maybe getting a private one would be an option?

I just had my initial scan today at 9 weeks and next one won't be until 20 weeks. It's pretty standard to do one around 9-12 weeks and then 20 weeks unless your undergoing fertility treatment or are high risk pregnancy. Can you just request one even though they don't just offer it?

You can either find an office who will give you an earlier scan or go get a private scan on your own. Depending on your insurance you may have to pay out of pocket for either unless your office can find an appropriate medical diagnosis that would warrant your insurance to pay for it. If is pretty common for general practitioners and standard obgyn offices to wait until 12 weeks unless there's a medical reason to do one sooner but fertility treatments and reproductive endocrinologist will usually be more willing to do more hcg levels and scans than other offices/doctors.

I've only heard of dating scans if you're really not sure of your LMP or ov day. xx

The point of a dating scan is to date the pregnancy. If you were ttc and or know your lmp there is no need for one.

It's pretty standard for the first scan to be at 12 weeks here.

The first scan is always at 12 weeks here.
Having had 2 previous losses I am able to see the early pregnancy unit for a reassurance scan at 9 weeks but otherwise I'd have to pay for a private scan or wait it out :)

I could have had a dating scan, but after my bloods were done I was told it wasn't necessary as my levels were spot on to how far along I am ... so they told me to save my money.

I decided to wait, well - we have too many bills so i had no choice. :( It was hard to accept at first, but it really has gone fast. Now my first scan is next Tuesday :)

If you're really wanting one though maybe give them a call back to ask about it?

Thanks ladies. It does seem like an eternity because I would REALLY love to see the heartbeat before I announce anything. I lift heavy heavy stuff at work (sometimes 70lbs+ [and I'm 5'2" and 110 lbs!!]) so I'd really love to see that everything is OK before I see anything. I may call and ask them to do one... I just can't believe at one office it's standard and another it's not. Kind of irritating to me! Especially because I switched because my last pregnancy I felt I wasn't being listened to! (had a BIG kidney stone lodged in my urethra, Dr throught I was being ~dramatic and that I was just 'irritated'.. until I went to urgent care and peed it right into a cup hahahah)

I know my insurance only covers two... My 12 week scan is tomorrow and I'm dying waiting but I kinda feel ok that my doctor is taking a relaxed approach too because it helps me calm down to know he doesn't think there's anything wrong

It would be standard in the UK to just do 12 and 20 although I know healthcare is very different in the US. Hope you manage to get an earlier scan. xx

I don't know how they do things there, but where I live in the Caribbean, we get an early scan at the first appointment (usually between 6-8 weeks), and one at the next (around 12 weeks). 12 weeks seems like a long time to wait. How will they check to make sure everything is ok, otherwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->