Cutting a wisdom tooth

sue_88

Reaction score
Is it supposed to be so freaking painful that you can't open your mouth?!

My right top wisdom tooth is through, no problems.

But my left now is absolute agony. Jaw is so stiff, ear hurts, my throat hurts, and my tooth and gum is so painful.

I've been on soup and ibuprofen for 24 hours and as much bonjela I can get on.

I've got an emergency dentist apt for tomorrow but I am terrified of what they'll say, I just want them to say ... It's normal, and it'll be through in a day or two but what if she says about extraction in hospital :cry: I'm a single mum, what would i do with my baby.

Urgh, she originally booked my apt for 24th and I agreed but then called me with a cancellation for tomorrow and I agreed, now wish I'd just swept it under the carpet.

:cry: I've always had (and have!) very stunning and beautiful teeth which I take good care of, toothache is new to me and it's soooo painful :cry:

I cut my first wisdom when I was early 20's... and yes, it was painful. Usually the most right before it cuts through- just achy and sore. Not to the extent you're describing- sorry, that sounds awful! :hugs: But my tooth actually grew in just fine and never distrupted my other teeth- so, although my dentist "recommended" having it removed- long as it didn't compact or cause issues, I just cleaned it well and all was fine for years. At 35 (right?!) my other top wisdom tooth popped through- but never fully grew in- maybe 1/2 way? Again, never caused ANY issue with the rest of my teeth- but because it wasn't fully grown in, it was possible for more issues the longer I left it. So... I eventually had it removed.

I only ever had the top 2- so never worried about the others. It wasn't a "fun" recovery- but not that bad. Sore and took a few days to start to really heal- but it's possible with kids (although not ideal). My LO was 18mos at the time- so I couldn't really tell her to go play on her own all day !

I would just have the dentist keep an eye on things- if you have issues and need them removed, try to do it a time you can easily be home- and if you have any friends to at least bring you home and help out that first day I'd recommend. You can't drive after the procedure (since your put out).

Best of luck hun! :hugs: and sorry for the long reply! lol

Don't worry. I had a bad problem with one of my top wisdom teeth and have had it out. In the uk they'll usually take them out in the dentist chair unless its problematic. Mine was whipped out before I'd had much time to panic about it.

It's quite easy to get infections there as well which it could be. Have you tried gargling with corsadyl? Might help your gums.

I had to have mine removed last year. They were getting some decay on them that my dentist said could possibly spread to my healthy molars next to them. She said the position that the wisdom teeth were in made it impossible for me to fully clean them properly with a toothbrush, so it was just gonna happen eventually. I had them removed in oral surgeon office; it took maybe an hour or two total I think? But I was pretty sore that day and slept a lot. My mouth was sore for a few days, but I was back to being able to care for the kids by the next morning.

I'd say definitely go see your dentist; don't put it off. If its causing you that much pain, it could be impacted or have an infection causing the pain.

I've done a salt water gargle (vom!!) to try combat any infection.

I've been thinking after posting and remembered I had my top one out as it was pushing on the bottom one which was trying to come through and had got infected. The pain was awful, hurt so bad. Antibiotics didn't fully stop the pain as the top one kept pushing down on it and keeping it inflamed. So eventually had top one out. So it does sound like it could well have a little infection. If that's the case hopefully easily resolved for you.

I've had some very painful days with mine, it's taking years for them to come through, every few months they will be very painful, not as bad as you describe but extremely uncomfortable, nearly went to the dentist last time as it lasted a week but it does eventually subside. I've got a routine appointment on Wednesday so going to ask then how they are coming along, but as far as I can see I have plenty of room, they're coming through straight and I think I can clean around them all ok but some is still under the gum.

Just finished watching corrie and that Dentist programme came on!!!! Gahh.

Apt is at 11am tomorrow. Just hope it goes ok, I go every 6m to the dentist for routine but this is a new practice so bit nervous. And I do always hate going, feel out of control.

Good luck, I'm such a dentist hater, I avoided the programme tonight!

So I've got a pretty bad infection around the gum, and both my top wisdom teeth don't have enough room to fully grow and are pushing into my last molar.

Couldn't have X-rays because I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to get some contraption thingy in my mouth.

Looks like they'll both need to come out, on pretty strong antibiotics now for 5 days, then a repeat appointment in 2 weeks to try X-rays and see how they're getting on and discuss extraction!

Thanking god I have private health care as this is going to cost a few pennies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->