Cycle Masters: What you think?

Mabythistime

Reaction score
Lets say I was so sure that if I chart my cycle, I will be OK. I mean, if I could get pregnant from holding a guys hand 20 years back in school, I am sure I can get this done by knowing the middle of my cycle...not so?

Then the wake up call. I am 35, been TTC for two years and nothing. First I thought, its because of the depo shot (tried only once April 2009). But for 12 months my cycle was perfect... between 26 - 29 days.

Two months ago, I decided to try an OPK. I only really needed 4 tests they said. I started with a Clearblu 7 tests...I quickly realised I needed more. Same thing this month (but I added temping too).

I then discovered, I HAD IT WRONG..MY LP is not 14 days...its shorter, 11 days.

This is what happened so far: 21st being CD9 and 30th being CD18
BD: 21; 23; 24; 25; 27; 28; 29; 30am (thanks to DH trying his best!) Normally I would stop around the 25th....cos that is what my cycle chart would say and DH runs away from me. Or earlier, reading that those swimmers last for 5 days and due to DH not liking the "on schudule" routine. (he is a "what will happen will happen kinda guy)

Got OPK+ on 29th evening.

Today: 30th: Uncomfy dull poking pain...maybe ovulation?

Now, I wonder if the LP is too short? I know that longer is good, but shorter?

How good are OPK tests..can I rely on them? Did we Baby Dance too much and can that have a negative affect to TTC?

Once you feel OV pains, is that the fertile door closing and can tomorrow start as 1st DPO?

Any advise would be great at the moment. :shrug:

hi! I think you can rely on the ov tests...I used them and chart as well and the day after my smiley ov test my temp goes up to show ovulation has taken place (so I ovulate the same day as my positive ov test so a short window)
you mention cycle chart so sounds like you are temping so your chart should show a temp shift up tomorrow?

I think you probably ovulated today, but perhaps even yesterday (I have dull pains days after) and you did great as you BDd 27, 28, 29, & 30! as for BDing too much, if your OH has a low sperm count it can be too much, but if he is fine then its not too much (if you dont know it may be worth getting it tested). I BD'd every day for 5 days this cycle...hubby has great SA results and I realized in the past I do BD the day before my OV but not 2 days before so thought Id change it up.

So I would count tomorrow as 1dpo, unless you are temping and had a shift up in your chart today and then it would be today. Charting has shown me I have a 14 day LP and it stays the same.

good luck!! :flower:

Two things that are supposed to be able to help normalize your LP length are chaste tree berry aka vitex, and B6 - probably best to talk to a naturopath about specific doses. Ideally the LP should be at least 12 days, I am sure there are women with 11 days that can conceive but its trickier as there needs to be enough time for implantation before progesterone drops off.

OPKs detect a surge in LH which indicates you are about to ovulate - usually within 24-48 hours. But the surge does not necessarily mean you will ovulate, your body can try and fail, thus it is important to confirm ovulation with temping.

Some people feel pains as their body releases the egg, and others as their body is gearing up for it. Generally once you ovulate the egg only lives a short time so it is usually too late for BD but it can never hurt to add some insurance sex!

From what I've read as far as frequency, if your DH has normal sperm count every day is fine, more than once a day is not recommended for TTC. If his sperm count is low, or if it is unknown and you've been failing to conceive for several cycles, try every other day at most.

Your timing sounds excellent this cycle, but of course there may be other factors other than timing at play. If you haven't had any fertility testing done yet, I would start by seeing your doctor.

:dust:

I've never had a + opk, so I don't even bother with them.

I have an 11 day lp. It's always been that short. Even with prescription strength vaginal progesterone suppositories it never budged past 11. I'd love to blame my current ttc woes on a short lp, but I've gotten pregnant quickly with this same lp. And I've gotten pregnant and carried 3 babies with that lp. So, for me, the lp isn't something new and I don't think that's what's taking me so long. (Honestly, I think I have some type of subclinical hormone issue, but that's a different topic entirely).

I would rely on temping. Keep up with the charting and you can see if you are bding at the right times, or if you are giving up too far away from ov time. You can see a trend in you lp. And, you can even take your charting to a doc if you feel you need medical intervention.

I also get horrible ov pain and I have my since I was 18. Frankly, I'm still not sure if it's immediately prior to ov, during ov, or post ov. I just bd with ewcm, ov pain, and to cover my bases I bd 2 days after I think I oved.

Good luck.

Got OPK+ on 29th evening.

Today: 30th: Uncomfy dull poking pain...maybe ovulation? Maybe

Now, I wonder if the LP is too short? I know that longer is good, but shorter?
Some say anything 12 + is good, some say anything 10+ is ok. Mine was 11. Taking a B complex extended it to 13.

How good are OPK tests..can I rely on them?
You can rely on them to detect the LH surge, but the surge may be missed, and only temping can confirm O. Are you temping, as well? Did your temp go up?

Did we Baby Dance too much and can that have a negative affect to TTC?
If your husband's sperm is ok, then it's not too much. Your BDing was well-timed.

Once you feel OV pains, is that the fertile door closing and can tomorrow start as 1st DPO?
I am not sure how you would accurately count tomorrow as 1 DPO without temping. Did you test again today? Sometimes women will get more than 1 positive OPK in a row, and then O later. I would BD today and the next 2 days, if possible, if your DH is up for it.

Any advise would be great at the moment.
If you're not temping, I would start.

GL.....

I think your LP phase is OK. I seem to remember my RE wanting to see at least 10 days.
OPK's are definitely accurate. I get monitored by BW and US and my OPKs are always spot on.
I think you O'd on the 30th.
I went in on Thursday AM for BW/US Hadn't O'd yet. Thursday noon I start to get a positive OPK. By the PM it's definitely darker positive.

Friday 7am take another OPK and it's a super dark positive.
Friday 8 am I feel crampy pains think maybe I am ovulating.
Get BW/US 9am Friday morning and I had O'd so my OPK's detected the surge accurately.

You BD schedule looks good, but I would trust an OPK more than a chart. I have had a couple of wonky early O's and the OPK caught it and I had one where I O'd super late and it caught that one too.(of course I was peeing on sticks for like 3 weeks, but it worked:haha:)

Thank you to all the ladies. Now I feel much more relaxed. Good to hear positives about OPK's. Even better that you ladies had good results with a shorter LP than 14 days. I think I was just looking for some confirmation that there is a chance this month :winkwink:. Thank you for the replies. Below some more info...

My OPK did stay positive yesterday morning as well, but I made a big mistake. I tested, did not have time to wait for the 5 mins, so I left it to get dressed, and did not check again. Last nite..guess what...OPK was positive on the morning test, perhaps slightly lighter if I really check very closely than the day before, but still matches the control line. Decided for another AM bd this morning...just in case. DH was up for it..but (never thought I'd say this) but I felt completely over BD'ed.:haha:

Yes, I am temping...in Deg Celsius though. I am going to translate them to FH...I think I am in the minority for charting in Celsius

25th...97.39
26th...97.21
27th...97.36
28th...97.27 (Sorry TMI) evening EWCM
29th...97.86 +OPK PM
30th...97.50 +OPK AM
31st...97.50 -OPK AM

Ok, so temping sort of tells me (if I read correctly) the shift happened on the 29th?? But its really low...overall .2 or less even? I had a negative OPK on the 29th in the morning though.

I think this month..I have done everything possible. So now I will sit back and relax and hope that :blush: things are happening.

@velo: Thanks..Yes I would agree that its time to see a doc (if nothing this month). I must get my mindset right. I tried making an appointment about 4 months ago and the earliest appointment was 3 months later...tried more than one doc. Lol.funny part is, with all the mixed emotions jumping up and down...one day I am up for getting help and the next...I just hate it all and decide to call it quits. :dohh: So silly. I think I will ask DH to make sure I go to a doc soon!

:thumbup:

If you haven't already I would enter your temps at fertilityfriend.com - you can get a free account, and it will analyze your chart and guess when you ovulated - it may later change the date based on additional information.

From the data you have, (and I chart/think in celsius so its hard for me to look at F numbers!) it looks like the 29th but it seems odd in that case that you'd get a positive OPK on the 30th.

If you haven't already I would enter your temps at fertilityfriend.com - you can get a free account, and it will analyze your chart and guess when you ovulated - it may later change the date based on additional information.

From the data you have, (and I chart/think in celsius so its hard for me to look at F numbers!) it looks like the 29th but it seems odd in that case that you'd get a positive OPK on the 30th.

I am just going to let it be...I dont get it anymore..Like you say the +opk and then temp hike before? Not making sense.

Now to top it, my temp is falling to before OV temps! Here's the story in celsius. Normally this happens day day after Af starts.

Not 3 days past dpo!

25th...36.33
26th...36.23
27th...36.31
28th...36.26(Sorry TMI) evening EWCM
29th...36.59+OPK PM
30th...36.39+OPK AM
31st...36.39-OPK AM
1 June...36.33

I wonder if my batteries could be flat of my Thermometer..Going to check that out tonite. I tried to read up and it is said if the batteries are flat, it just takes longer and eventually will not beep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->