Cycling & Pregnancy

Charmed86

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm after a few opinions. I cycle a lot, I have to as it is imperative to my job. I'm self employed and cycle to & from clients homes, I can't drive & don't want to learn, I absolutely hate it! Scares me to death!

Anyway, I'm starting to get a bit worried about cycling when I am pregnant. How safe is it? Most of my journeys are relatively flat, but the hills that are in there are awful! Really tough to get up, so even now they wear me out. I recover quickly though. Would that do my unborn baby harm?

I've gone back & forth on the issue really, if I keep cycling then I'm worried I will hurt the baby somehow, if I stop cycling then I have to let my clients go at short notice & if I lost the baby then I'd have no baby & no business.. but then if I kept cycling & lost the baby then I'd never forgive myself!

Please, any opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you xxx

I think if cycling is something you already do, you're fine to carry on until it becomes too much xx

From what my doctor has said, if it is an activity you normally do, such as running or cycling, at least 3 to 4 times a week, you should be able to do it while pregnant and no harm will come to the baby. I would think the only issue would be late in the pregnancy when it is just awkward to get around in general.

On NHS website, cycling is included in the list of sports to be avoided during pregnancy, specifying it has the risk of falling. However, if you are a regular rider, there’s no reason not to carry on when pregnant. In fact, it is a good form of exercise during pregnancy, if done in moderation.

Speak with your doctor, to understand the potential risk to the pregnancy, if you crash. If you do decide to cycle during pregnancy, ride sensibly and be careful as your joints might be less stable and bump would alter the centre of gravity in late pregnancy. Hope it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->