D Day now dreading birth. :'-(

weffi82

Reaction score
Im a home birther, hospitals scare me more than anything. Had a call from my midwife this morning saying half their staff are off sick so if i go into labour i will have to go to hospital. Im in so much pain from spd an all ive wanted for weeks now is for my little man to be ere but now im so scared thst i will have to go to hospital so dont want labour to start. Feeling so low today, just want to cry.

Don't stress! Here at lest (states) the maternity area isn't like hospital more homey or hotel roomy and they are usually a lot sweeter :) so if you do HAVE to it won't be all bad!

Ugh, how disappointing. Can they do that? That doesn't seem right that they can force you to change your labor plans like that. :hug:

Ugh, how disappointing. Can they do that? That doesn't seem right that they can force you to change your labor plans like that. :hug:

Im not sure what would happen if i insist i cant get to hospital but obviously i dont want to put baby in danger. Hopefully the staff will be available at the time i need them.

You're in the UK right? they legally can't do this to you, their short staffing problems, are NOT your issue. They have a legal obligation to sort it out, and send a MW out to you, please don't let them scare or pressure you into going into hospital if you don't want to, sadly, its a common tactic used, and used wrongly, there will be people in the HOme and Natural Birthing section that can provide you with more detailed info about it, but I do know they MUST send someone out to you if you refuse to go in.

You're in the UK right? they legally can't do this to you, their short staffing problems, are NOT your issue. They have a legal obligation to sort it out, and send a MW out to you, please don't let them scare or pressure you into going into hospital if you don't want to, sadly, its a common tactic used, and used wrongly, there will be people in the HOme and Natural Birthing section that can provide you with more detailed info about it, but I do know they MUST send someone out to you if you refuse to go in.

Yeah, exactly this.
If you DO go into labour and you're worried about being pressured into going to hosp, just ring them and keep repeating, "I am having a homebirth and will need a midwife."

They'll send someone. They have to.

Yeah, exactly this.
If you DO go into labour and you're worried about being pressured into going to hosp, just ring them and keep repeating, "I am having a homebirth and will need a midwife."

Yep, exactly what's been said. They have midwives on call that can always be brought in, regardless of who is technically supposed to be on call on any given day. They can't not send a midwife just like they couldn't just abandon you in a hospital room to birth on your own with no support because they are short on staff. There are always people they can call in the event of a staff shortage. Just make sure you talk this over with your partner or whoever will be supporting you during your birth and have them be ready to be firm when they call in to make the request. There is a great section on the homebirth.org.uk website about this if you want to check it out and read more about your rights to care.

I had my daughter (my first and only so far) at home and it was fantastic. Stick to your guns and know your rights. It will be worth it. Home birth is definitely the way to go if the hospital isn't your thing. I'm so glad I did it and I'll be birthing any future babies at home too if I can.

I was in a similar position with my first baby- i was so upset when they said no-one could come out to me - spoke to a horrible midwife who had me in tears. I got angry though and told her she had to find someone to come out to me and she called back within 20mins saying she had found someone. Put your foot down and insist on it. i ended up having to go to hospital (water went early) and ended up having a wonderful experience in the birth centre. I was initially devastated at having to go in but it ended up being wonderful. It''s not as bad as you think it will be. Giving birth is so amazing that you forget where you are! Enjoy every minute, as it a day you will cherish forever! xxx

Are you sure u want a home birth with spd? It may be excruciating. I had spd and the epi was god sent in numbing the pain but then again maybe being in a bath can help too...

I had SPD and a water HB with DS2.
The water helped things GREATLY. Really took the pressure off my pelvis.
That birth was also way faster than DS1 (who was a hospital water birth). I think bc i was much more comfotable in my own home with only those i love and trust that i was able to relax more, and that is key, especially with SPD.

of course not everyone experiences that, but for me the water and being home was the biggest help.

Yeah, exactly this.

Yep, exactly what's been said. They have midwives on call that can always be brought in, regardless of who is technically supposed to be on call on any given day. They can't not send a midwife just like they couldn't just abandon you in a hospital room to birth on your own with no support because they are short on staff. There are always people they can call in the event of a staff shortage. Just make sure you talk this over with your partner or whoever will be supporting you during your birth and have them be ready to be firm when they call in to make the request. There is a great section on the homebirth.org.uk website about this if you want to check it out and read more about your rights to care.

I had my daughter (my first and only so far) at home and it was fantastic. Stick to your guns and know your rights. It will be worth it. Home birth is definitely the way to go if the hospital isn't your thing. I'm so glad I did it and I'll be birthing any future babies at home too if I can.

I'm SO glad to hear this. Not being in the UK I wasn't sure what the rules were. OP, I hope you get your home birth. Hang in there!

I agree that's lousy to do to you at the last second when you're planning a homebirth. BUT I will just say make sure you know legally what they're obligated to do before you refuse to go in once you're in labor... I would just hate to see anyone stuck in labor without the proper people to help. I have no idea about homebirths or the laws over there.

Thank you for this, i do feel better knowing i can TELL them i cant go in. xx

Are you sure u want a home birth with spd? It may be excruciating. I had spd and the epi was god sent in numbing the pain but then again maybe being in a bath can help too...

I had spd with both previous, i fear hospital more than any amount of pain. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->