Dairy/Lactose intolerance Adult

moondrops

Call me Sally!
Reaction score
Does anyone suffer from any kind of dairy intolerance whether it be lactose or milk protein? I just want to know what your symptoms were. I suffer from severe constipation and it's got worse since giving birth, i've been put on lactulose which doesn't really help and they're sending me for a colonoscopy in January to find out the cause.

I think it might have something to do with dairy though, i have had a coeliac test which came back negative as everytime i ate cereal i would get stomach cramps & be in pain for ages so i thought it was the cereal, i didn't even think that the milk might be causing it. After cheesecake and ice cream last night & the night before i was in agony before bed & my stomach was really sore when i woke in the morning it hurt to touch. Anything milk related makes me really bloated & gassy too. I've had these symptoms for ages i just never linked it to dairy and thought it was down to me being constipated all the time.

I think i'm going to make a doctors appointment but as i get constipation and the main symptom is diarrhoea i'm just worried that they'll think i'm being overdramatic and just tell me to cut dairy out if it's causing me pain. Can they actually do tests to see whether i have an intolerance? I don't mind cutting dairy out but it will be hard and how will i know whether it's lactose or milk protein which bothers me arghh!! x

Hi there,

I´ve never been tested but my brother and mother are both lactose intolerant, and as I started feeling ill having dairy, I have cut it out from my diet. I can use Lactofree without as much symptoms but find that soy products are best for me.

I get stomach cramps (very bad ones and feel hot and cold with them) and get extremely bloated with any amount of dairy. I, also, am mainly constipated (TMI, sorry!). The beginning of symptoms, unfortunately, coincided with the beginning of my autoimmune issues. My consultant does not think this is linked, and my GP won´t test me as they think it is! I don´t feel that I should pay for testing privately and it seems that I can fix my problem by avoiding dairy.

As to what you can do, is to try lactose free products to see if it helps, and yes, GP can refer you to tests. Hope your colonoscopy goes smoothly and gets you closer to the answer!

Thank you so much for replying. I use soy milk and spread and have cut all other dairy products out and I have been able to go to the toilet just fine, it's crazy that this might be the problem of my constipation for the last year. I might make an appointment to see if they can test after my colonoscopy so that if they can't find anything wrong I can explain about cutting the dairy out and how it helped. I can cope with a really small amount of cheese/chocolate but if I have any more I also get badly bloated and the pain comes back. Hopefully they will test me after I get the results x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->