Daugher born 29w5days - also lingo question...

MissMuffet08

Mom to Katelyn & Madelyn
Reaction score
Hi! My daughter Katelyn was born on April 7th at 29weeks and 5 days. Her EDD was June 18th. I went to the hospital on April 5th because I was nervous about how often she was kicking and it turned out that I had developed severe preeclampsia. Two days later they were performing an emergency c-section. This is my first child.

She has been doing pretty well so far. I did have a few questions -

1. Does anyone else feel judged by the nurses in the NICU if on some days you are not there for 8 or more hours?

2. Does post partum depression kick in more on some days than others?

3. What does corrected age mean?

I am very new to all this and would love some advice.

Thanks!

1. Does anyone else feel judged by the nurses in the NICU if on some days you are not there for 8 or more hours?

2. Does post partum depression kick in more on some days than others?

3. What does corrected age mean?

I am very new to all this and would love some advice.

Thanks!

Hiya hun. Congrats on Katelyn!!! You'll get loadsa support here!!!

1. thing is - we all do what we can to try and lead an as-close-to-normal life. The alarms drive some crazy for a start. One mum might be there 24/7 but another may even visit every second day due to financial constraints, physical ability or distance. And the NICU have seen all these situations, so they would never judge!!!

2. Its early days for post partum depression hun, but it's only natural that you could be dealing with. 'baby blues' . You will feel up and down - you're delighted with your new arrival, but sad that it's this way. It's a rollercoaster- not just in NICU but your feelings too

3. Corrected age will be when your LO hits their due date. So one day after her due date would be 1 day old corrected.

Eg. When Katelyn is 6 months old, (legally/actual age) she will also be 3 months corrected age

Hope that makes sense!!!

Feel free to rant and ask questions here :)

Hello, and congratulations on the birth of your daughter! My son was born at 28.6 weeks gestation, and is now 5 months old (2 1/2 months old corrected).

:hugs:

Hi and congratulations on the birth of Katelyn :)

SB22 has answered all your questions really well.

My daughter, Sophie, was born in March last year at 27 weeks exactly (due on 13th June so really similar due date to Katelyn!) and she's now 13 months old, 10 months corrected (as SB explained, that means if she'd been born on her due date, she would now be 10 months).

We're all here for you if you need to offload on anyone, or have any questions etc.

xxxxx

Thanks everyone for the support and explanations. The main reason I asked about being judged by NICU nurses is because the other day my MIL was visiting the baby and she called my DH saying "the nurses were asking me if the two of you planned on seeing the baby today" That really upset me even more so because they said it to my MIL.

Most of the nurses are really great and probably didn't even mean it how it was said to my MIL, but as SB22 said, having the "baby blues" that comment made me feel really really low.

Looking forward to connecting with everyone and thank you for the information on the corrected age!

Hi Miss Muffet

Congratulations on Katelyn, beautiful name - Nothing to add as think everyones answered your questions but wanted to say that my LO was born at 29+5 too. Very scary at the time but she came home at 35 weeks and is doing really well now.

The time in NICU seems to go on forever while you're there but now it seems like a lifetime ago.

Actually one thing I will add is that the nurses might have asked about when you were coming in because they always like to know your movements so that if your LO needs anything done like a blood test etc they try and do it when you're not there, as it can be upsetting for parents to watch things like that. I'm sure she wouldn't have been asking in a critical way but more for that reason.

xx

:hugs: hun i agree with QueenieMurphy, it is probably because they have plans on cares for Katelyn

Congratulations on the birth of ur lil girl!
I know how u feel about thinkin the nicu nurses judge u as i always think that but they honestly dont! They probably just wanted to know if you were going in because they dont like to do cares and feeds if your going in! I wouldnt take it personally hun, just concentrate on you and your lo! Xxx

I agree with QueenieMurphy.

The only time the staff will require you to be there, is when you're rooming in before your LO goes home. We visited the NICU every day for 4-6 hours, and spent the night most of the time when he was moved to the Neonatal Village.

I think sb22 answered your questions wonderfully, as did the other ladies.

I think had rough days and good days in the first few weeks after our son was born at 23.3 weeks. I thought maybe I had the "baby blues" or postpartum depression, but I didn't. It was just a LOT to handle.

:hugs: Be gentle with yourself. Its OK if you do get either of those things, its a rollercoaster every day in the NICU...its hard to come out unscathed.

About the nurses, they likely asked because they tend to like to do their care when you are not there (like the others said). My suggestion would be to just let them know when you call in the mornings (if you do? or when you are there the day before...whatever) when you will be in next. And if you can't make it....it's not an issue. They aren't judging you, trust me!

When you (if you aren't already) to hold your baby, they will work around her feeds and such in order to let you hold her longer..then they might need to know exactly when you are coming in. That way you are not left without being able to hold her.

I felt in the first few weeks all eyes were on me...I actually didn't like changing our sons diaper and I was scared to interact with him in the wrong way. I was so nervous I would mess up. One nurse literally shook me and said "claim your baby"...and I did. I learned how to do all the care I could...and it suddenly felt like he was MY baby.

I would learn as much as you can, ask the nurses...they should be willing to teach you. This will help make you feel more comfortable.

:hi: congrats on your LO the baby blues are normal and their are counsellors available in most NICU, i had a few counsellors and social workers that i dealt with during our NICU stay and after my son was discharged

Thanks everyone. I am feeling much better and when i go in I let nurses know exactly when I will be back so that they can let the night shift know whether I am coming. I actually have been able to do skin to skin almost everytime I go in and that is the best part of my day.

I think I am still extremely emotional with every thing at the moment as a few of you have said. And the nurses have been great in providing me with information and letting me do more and more each time I go in.

I am extremely grateful that I found this thread as it has been really great and comforting to read others stories and to get the support for everyone.

I am very appreciative!

Aaah, I remember skin to skin time, I lived for that hour each day and soon you'll be able to cuddle her for longer each day too.

I was so emotional too the whole time, tears most days. Its all normal. You're doing great xxx

MissMuffet08 - Eve was born at 29 weeks plus 5 aswell :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->