Daughter asking for Barbie.. too young?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlyP

Mum of 2 & baking #3
Reaction score
My daughter will be 4 in December, every time I ask her what she wants from Father Christmas she says 'Just Barbie' or 'I told you, Barbie' nothing else.

I'm just not sure she's old enough yet. She has great imagination but I didn't start with Barbie until age 5ish.

What do you think?

If she likes this sort of thing I bet she will be fine. Gabby is 4 and she asks for barbie but I am it wasting my money as all she does is strip them and that is it :dohh:

Lol, that's what my mum said, you'll be forever putting their clothes back on. We can't even buy her a tester set for her birthday as it's so close to xmas.

Dd3 was 4 in July and this is what she is asking for too, I also thought that she may be a bit young but we're going to buy some and see how she goes. If she doesn't get much play out of them straight away then I'm sure it something she will grow into :)

My DD2 is two and loves to play with her sister's old Barbies. She's got some Frozen ones of her own and is getting an astronaut Barbie and Cinderella for Christmas, (I do remove the shoes and other small things). DD doesn't undress them, just makes them dance around and plays with the hair. If it's what she wants I think it's fine.

DD1 started playing with them around 3 yrs old. It never occurred to me that they were only for older girls. There was a period we went through though where it was a naked Barbie wonderland at home but I didn't mind too much.

I would get her one my nieces all player with barbie dolls at that age. If you have a good look about I'm sure you'll find something you feels more suited for her age xx

I don't think her age is an issue - Hayden's preschool have a box full of Barbies, and Barbie type dolls, which they regularly get out. He will be 4 in a couple of weeks, and is the second oldest there. He has pretty much zero interest in dolls, so he never really plays with them, but some of the other kids must or they wouldn't keep bringing them out. She will possibly play differently with them than a 6 or 7 year old might, but then again she might surprise you. Hayden has a lot of Octonaut toys, and plays story based role play games with them. Never underestimate the imagination of a 4 year old! And even if she does just strip them off, so what? If she's having fun, then that's the point and I don't think it matters, and she will grow into them so they will have more longevity. We are looking at Playmobil in that way for our 18 month old - at the moment, she mostly just walks about with the head of a figure in her mouth, but she seems happy with that, and will eventually play with them properly I expect!

DD has a couple of the disney princess dolls that are like barbies and enjoys playing with them so I wouldn't worry about age. One in particular she always takes the dress off and puts her in the sink of her kitchen to go for a swim lol they play with them how they want and as long as they're being used and not left lying in a box I don't mind.

I've just bought Emily a second hand,though immaculate barbie and horse set with jumps etc. she is getting a kidkraft house for Xmas so her disney princesses and new barbie can fit in it!

My 2 year old son plays with barbies. He brushes their hair and changes their clothes etc so no not too young!

My DD played with barbies more at the age of 3/4 than she does now at 7. x

Our Tori loves her Frozen dolls. She takes the 3 of them to bed. i try to explain they are a bit hard but she insists :rofl:

My daughter has some Disney princess dolls. She got Rapunzel and Flynn for her second birthday and she adores. It really encourages her imagination. My lo loves her Lottie doll to. We don't have any Barbie's but if your daughter wants one I would say go for it

My LO is 4 and likes barbies (she just got the royal bride one). My mum has got her one for Xmas too.

My dd is the same age and she is in love with barbie. She doesnt have many but her friend does (also same age) and they dress them up, put them in cars, make them do all sorts! Im getting her some for Christmas :)

My daughter is into Barbie's now and she's 4. Someone bought her a cheap version though and it's now headless lol xx

Well my mum got some of mine out from her loft, and DD loves them, DH bought her a Barbie puppy set today and she's played with nothing else! Defiantly have to be on the Christmas list now.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back