Day 6 breast really full and painful

Pink Sarah

Reaction score
I'm on day 6 of breastfeeding and my left breast is so full I am in agony until I feed or express especially on a morning. My right side is full but manageable because it leaks constantly (very glamorous ) but my left side doesn't even really dampen a breast pad.
I have expressed yesterday and this morning until it feels comfortable but not sure if this will make it worse.
Any advice or tips on what to do would be appreciated. Thank you

Make sure the breast is not lumpy and look out for signs of mastitis.

Expressing off a little to keep comfortable is totally fine. You need to be comfortable. I don't know if you are alternating breasts or feeding off both, if both start with that breast to ensure it is emptied.

To help with the pain you can use a cold compress (some use cold cabbage leaves) after feeding or your mini-expresses. To help with the flow you can use a hot compress.

Its possible you produce more from that breast so until your supply settle I would start on that breast with most feeds.

Thank you very much I have been alternating them so will start with that one each time.

I found hand expressing a little off every time it was uncomfortable helped, it also helped with my freezer supply of bm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->