Day out in London - can I reduce the travel cost?

Have you tried megbus? Not sure if you live in an area that has megabus but if you do sometimes they run day trips to London for £1. Worth looking. X

I really want to take my 5yo to the Natural History Museum (he loves Andy's Dinosaur Adventure on CBeebies lol) and to the science museum. We live in Norwich but my MIL lives near Colchester so getting the train into London wouldn't be a problem and she would happily babysit the younger two for the day while we were in the big smoke.

Train Tickets - £100 for the 3 of us!!!! That's for 3 x day return tickets, 1 child 2 adult.

Seriously - I know the museums are both free but we would need buses/underground in the capital, and food! My life that's just such a shock!

Does anyone have any ideas how we can cut the cost down? We don't travel down there often, or on the train often enough to warrant a rail card. Is there a cheaper travel arrangement? Should we drive to closer in? Does anyone know of anywhere good to do that? We would have to do it during school holidays too although I didn't think that affected train fares.

Thanks all

Oh my gosh is it that much??!! Ouch. I used to live in London but am in norwich now too.

My husband usually manages to book something for around £30 return. Have you tried looking at two singles instead of an open return? That often works out cheaper, as long as you can find a time that suits you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->