DD dosent want to carry on potty training?! Advice needed!

BabyBlondex

Mummy to 2 💕
Reaction score
DD will be 2yr4mth on the 4th June, I was hoping she'd be potty trained before DS arrives, but she is just NOT interested!...

She will go the first day perfectly, using it and not having any accidents, but moving onto the second day, she can have upto 3 or 4 accidents in a row, and tells me she dosent want to anymore, I dont force her obviously but why the sudden change of heart? She loves learning so I thought this would be a blast for her, we first picked her potty at 18 months and I know it can take a while but its always been the case of losing interest on the 2nd day. Even when shes in the bath she will say I need a wee/poo and i lift her out and she uses the potty no problem, its just keeping it up!

Also, do I keep asking her does she need to go, or do I leave her to it until she tells me, this usually ends up in accidents and I know they learn from them but thats when she seems to lose the interest. I also cant keep my eye on her 24/7.

Advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

<3

Based purely on my own experience, I would take a break.

My DD1 was 2 y 4 m when DD2 was born and I really hoped she would be potty trained by then (partly as I use cloth nappies and didn't want the washing for 2). She completely understood but just didn't want to do it. We had some OK days and some bad days but we kept taking her to the potty at regular intervals or when we thought we saw signs of her needing to go. She wasn't taking herself to the potty even though she loved the praise, stickers etc when she managed it.

Anyway, we didn't get her trained before DD2 was born. As Christmas approached she became more and more fed up with the potty, culminating in her throwing it at me and shouting "I don't want to sit on my potty anymore!". We took a break over Christmas and didn't mention potties etc (we were away visiting family anyway so it was one less thing not to think about). Got home NYE, on Jan 1st she just started taking herself to the toilet without even discussing it with us and has been dry during the day ever since (bar a couple of accidents in the last 18 months). Was so much easier when she just wanted to do it herself.

We tried to potty train DD at 20 months. She got so annoyed as I kept asking her to sit on the potty or if she needed to pee. In the end she refused to sit on it anymore.

We tried again at 22 months and it was so much more successful. I never asked her to sit on the potty or if she needed to go. I left it entirely up to her. She wet herself the first day and got upset that she was wet (she was naked on the bottom half and hated the pee running down her leg). After that she took herself to the potty (there were a couple of dribbles on the way for the first day or two but she quickly learned how to hold til she was sitting). I think the fact she is very, very stubborn she just hated being harassed about sitting on it, tryin to pee etc. The second time i we tried training i think she thought the decision was hers. It was very stress free. I did still reward her with stickers when she used the potty for the first few days (she's sticker obsessed) so maybe that was a bit of an incentive too.

I think when they decide theirselves its time to get out of nappies and dont feel pressurised its so much easier. Maybe take a break for a few weeks and go back to it with a totally relaxed approach. It may help (granted there may be a few messes to clean up along the way lol) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->