DD's friends told her that santa isn't real!

Bevziibubble

Reaction score
Last night at the park, 2 of Holly's friends told her that santa wasn't real! :x:cry: I did think she would find out earlier than a lot as she is quite streetwise for her age, but 6 is so young! I just kept arguing back with them that santa was real but they weren't having it because they had come downstairs on Christmas eve and seen their parents with their presents. I have asked Holly if she still believes and she said yes because she saw him outside the shop once and he gave her a lollypop. But that idea is in her head now, and previously it had never even occurred to her.

Aw! :(
Last year some of DS's classmates told him (and others) that Father Christmas isn't real. DS really questioned it, I didn't push it but said that different people believe different things, that I feel he is real because I feel the magic of Christmas and DS though suspicious still seems to believe. I do think that this year might be the one where he decides he's not though. But hopefully Holly decides to believe for a little longer!

Awww no ! That’s such a shame ! I hate this about other kids and something that would annoy me but it’s bound to happen !

Seeing how she still believes I would just try and reinforce the magic. She’s still so young and innocent really so I think you may be able to swing her back. I wouldn’t mention it again and she might forget. I’m sure you could make a little white lie up if she does mention it !

Awe I'm sorry Bev :hugs:. How annoying some people's kids can be. I hope she forgets and starts feeling the magic of Christmas again.

Aww sorry for Holly I am glad she still believes I don't know why kids feel the need to do that it is just mean :(

I wish their parents had told them not to give the secret away to others who still believe.
I always knew not to tell others when I found out! :(

I'm dreading this happening with my DS. He'll be 6 soon and it's just never entered his head that Santa is anything but real. I've been as careful as I can about this and have avoided any movies or cartoons where Santa's existence is questioned. But as he gets older and starts to meet more kids who don't believe any more they will put doubts in his head.

Once he does start to question, there are lots of movies and cartoons where people don't believe in Santa and are proven wrong. Elf, Miracle on 34th Street, Polar Express, Get Santa, Santa Who? The Night They Saved Christmas etc. So I'll be breaking those out big time. I won't make a big deal out of it. Just have a movie night and let him watch a movie that confronts and eases any doubts.

^^ that is a great idea (plus who doesn't love to watch a Christmas movie)

Mine always knew he was not real existant in this timeline (rather that he is based off a real bishop whos been dead long ago). but she is 6 so it is common age to stop "believing"

That's happened to me a few times too, lol!

I was watching a YouTube video the other week with my oldest (coming up 8.5) it was a try not to laugh video anyways the man said something about Santa and the tooth fairy not being real I was like nooo noooo noooo! My oldest is so gullible though he didn’t even bat an eyelid or if he did he doesn’t show it!
I’d be so miffed if kids said that to mine! Kids are likely to believe whatever their other kids say.

My oldest is so gullible though he didn’t even bat an eyelid or if he did he doesn’t show it!
My DS is very like this, I don't think it's gullibility though, just a really willing suspension of disbelief when it comes to this kind of positive magic. We have a magical gnome that does our advent calendar and when DS was 3 in the spring, he asked if similar happened for Easter. I told him no but that it was a good idea so I'd copy the gnome and make him one. He was with me when I bought the craft supplies and made the Easter countdown calendar and I told him I'd organise the surprises. The same thing happened when he was 4. This year a few weeks before Easter, he asked who organised the Easter countdown calendar. I asked him who he thought did it. He thought for a while and decided it was Kevin and Katy, the carrots from the Aldi Christmas adverts, as carrots are also for Easter. So now, his Kevin and Katy teddies are credited with magically coming to life at night and organising the surprises that he used to know I did. He likes magic, it brings him incredible joy and at his age that's very normal. I happily believed in Santa until I was 11. Toward the end I was choosing to believe because I loved the magic and I love that DS is the same.

It's so sad other kids felt the need to ruin it for her. DS3 said he didn't believe last summer at 7, then a few weeks later told me that he did believe because "you'd have to go shopping at midnight on Christmas Eve, Mummy!" I never try to force them to believe if they get to the usual ages of realising, but it is still sad. DS1 was 8 when he stopped believing and was shouting about it to his Dad in front of the little ones, so I had to call him away and explain that while he was right, there isn't a man who flies around the world delivering presents, there IS a Santa. Santa is the spirit of giving, that warm feeling you get when you see a persons face light up because you thought of them, the excitement of buying something you know someone will love. Then he got a promotion to Santa's Helper, so he wouldn't tell the others. Ds2 just quietly said to his Dad on the way to one of his activities last year at the age of 10 that he thought maybe it was us who bought the presents. He was utterly convinced for much longer though, as he saw DH dressed up as Santa filling their stockings so that was confirmation enough for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->