Dealing with parents who hate name choice

RAFMrs2

Reaction score
We've decided to name our daughter Gloria. Our 6yr old daughter chose the name, and shes already bonded by hugging her from the outside while Gloria hugs her back from the inside :) Needless to say, we couldnt ask for more.

Then I told my mother of the name. She has expressed nothing but a strong hate for the name, down to the fact she once know someone with the same name. Ever since this, she has sarcastically laughed when I've mentioned Gloria, and started singing various pop songs/Christmas carols in stupid childish voices. Not just to me, but down the phone to our daughter too.

It's getting to me, and I've told her so, bit she keeps messaging me with alternative names. We don't see her often due to our location, but at this rate she will not be meeting her granddaughter at all. My husband says just ignore her, we are 100% happy and content, it's her problem if she has a problem. True, but my husband doesn't have raging hormones and irrational thoughts every morning at 2am.

Just needed to vent. Thanks lots x

Wow! That is downright out of order! To voice negative opinions to you is one thing, but to say it to your daughter...!?! I'd be pissed!!

Your husband is probably right. Ignoring her is probably the best solution, but I imagine it's REALLY hard! I feel for you :hugs:

That's my name!!!

I'm not gonna lie... I don't particularly like it, makes me think of an older person, and as a kid going to a catholic school meant I had lots of hymns sung to me 😐

I dislike it less the older I get, its also not a common name. I think it's sweet why you've chosen the name so don't let your mum put you off if you really like it.

Ugh, so rude! I'd have to be firm with her and call/email her specifically to address her behaviour r.e. the name (so that there is no mistaking that you're serious) and say "I feel extremely offended and irritated by you constant mocking of our child's name, particularly when its directed at DD. I understand that Gloria isn't the name you'd choose but it is what we've chosen and we don't want to hear alternative suggestions, the decision is final. I'm getting so fed up that this is making me want to ignore your calls and I don't want to end up growing distant because of something so silly. I hope that we can draw a line under it now and have no further name discussions"

Honestly, I've always disliked the name Gloria too. But a FB friend just named her beautiful daughter Gloriana and they call her "Glori" for short. My initial thought was negative... but now that I associate it with such a sweet baby... it has definitely grown on me!!!

That seems to always be the case... once ppl associate the name with a child they love... the name grows on them.

I bet once your sweet daughter is here... your mom will fall in love with the name! And she'll no longer associate the name with someone from her past... only her grand daughter!!

I agree with PP -- be assertive with your mom. Tell her to knock it off.

My mom hated the name I was planning to use for my son. She nagged me right up until I filled out the birth certificate... and I ended up changing it! Partially to shut her up... but mostly bc a different name on my list seemed to suit him better once I saw him.

I would be very upfront and tell her to shut up or piss off! Maybe my pregnancy hormones are raging also...

My MIL is named Carol and her sisters are Gloria and Joy. I think Gloria is a nice name :)

How rude! Your child your choice in my view. And it was her grand daughters choice so she should be gushing with how beautiful it is in my opinion. Feel so bad for you - I agree with others please try and ignore her. I actually really like the name Gloria. It sounds beautiful too ��

That really is very rude, not to mention unkind. I'd say tell her very directly that she's being rude and is offending you and that it's not nice to make fun of someone's name (because Gloria IS your daughter's name and her bullying won't change that). Definitely stick to your guns though!

I had a similar situation with my mum and our boy name for our first. She turned out to be a girl so it became less of an issue and with dd2 we kept name options to ourselves until after her birth. But if we ever have a boy, he's still going to be named our original choice and she's just going to have to suck it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->