Dealing with violence

The key, don't talk to her during the tantrum or aggression! It's rough, I know. I have been bitten, kicked, punched, had objects thrown at me, and even had a kiddo put both feet on my shoulders and pull my hair with both hands, using his feet and my body as leverage. I simply disentangled him from my hair and walked away. When your kiddo sees you're not going to engage and she's not getting what she wants, she will eventually stop. Once she stops, leave her be for awhile to avoid re-escalation. Then process with her.

It is so tough, even as a professional! Add to that the emotion of it being your own child and I can only imagine! I once had a child grab the bottom of my trousers and kick off against my leg, ripping the seams up to my knees! That was a fun day I can tell you!

However heartbreaking it is, I agree, it is the easiest way for them to learn acceptable behaviour! :hugs:

I didn't read everyone's replies so I'm sorry if this was mentioned. Have you thought of getting a behavioral service dog? I know that they can be trained to prevent self harming and other violent behaviors and will go with the child and keep them out of harms way if they run off (some can be trained to even restrain the child if it is absolutely necessary). I looked into it for my son but the self harming behavior never fully developed so I had no need to continue looking into it. It doesn't solve the underlying problem but maybe it would offer you some peace of mind that the dog will be trained to keep a watchful eye on your child and can even alert you by barking if your son is doing something potentially dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->