Debate: Anonimity of sperm and egg donors

As someone who used a sperm donor for this pregnancy, I'm glad that he agreed to have minimal involvement. He wants pictures and updates on the baby, and has said that if my child wants contact in the future, he will gladly meet with the child. I find nothing wrong with these laws at all. It's the same here in Canada.

The donor can always say, in 18 years, that it was nice to meet their "contribution", but they would feel more comfortable with not having a relationship, but if you're agreeing to donate and help other people start a family, you can't expect that the child produced from that donation will want to live their entire life without meeting their biological parent.

It's also good in the case of genetic disorders, as my daughter has. My donor was well aware of my daughter's condition and has agreed, that if this child is also born with a genetic condition, he will undergo testing to see if it was him who passed it.

Now, given that I did and still do want this child, I am about 95% sure I will be giving this baby up for adoption and have been talking to his or her prospective adoptive parents. Should this child turn out to have any genetic conditions, it is a wonderful thing that both birth parents are willing to undergo testing if necessary.

Im sorry if I have missed somthing here as I havnt seen your other posts so dont know the detailes of your situations.
Im just a bit confused about the whole using a doner to get pregnant and saying you wanted and still do want this baby and then going on to talk about giving it up for adoption.

It's a very long and complicated situation. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message and I will answer them.

We used a donor to conceive Tegan and will use a donor to conceive our next child. The fact that donors are not legally anonymous any more has cause a HUGE decline in the amount of men who are willing to donate, meaning people like us find it harder to have children. Tegan doesn't and will not know who donated for her, and neither will any other children we have, we will have an agreement with the donor that they give up all of their parental rights and do not want contact. Our children will have (and Tegan does have) two loving parents, who just happen to both be female.

I would donate my eggs. Even if I could not be anonymous, I would donate my eggs even with the chance that the child would find me when it was 18. It's not like I'd've given the child up for adoption, it's not that I didn't want the child, it would just be that my eggs were going spare and some poor couple who couldn't have kids needed them more than I did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->