Debate: School leaving age set to be 18

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
https://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42442000/jpg/_42442681_bricklaying203.jpg

Young people will be required to stay in school, training or workplace training until the age of 18.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6254833.stm

The proposals would seek to tackle the problem of young people leaving education without qualifications or workplace skills.

Despite repeated efforts to tackle this stubborn problem - the most recent figures for England showed that 11% of 16 to 18 year olds are still outside education, training or work.

Do you think this is a good idea..........

Being the mother of a 13 year old, I'm a bit gutted that she'll miss out as it'll only apply to kids aged 10 or under now. :(

Kayleigh was always a really good student and definitely destined for uni, but she's gone a bit crap this past year, and I'm worried she'll get worse and not stay on at 16. :( But I think if she was forced to stay till she was 18, she'd be much more mature and realise that it would be best for her. Hopefully! [-o<

I'll be more than hapy for Emily to stay at school until she is 18, she is really bright(dunno where that comes from!!) and me and OH are thinking Grammer school for her

I think staying til 18 will get most young adults ready for the real world, but i think they should deffinatley teach them life skills and budgeting/managing money as most children leave school get a job and spend then real life bites them on the arse, and the don't have the first clue what things bills etc... cost

Is this in education til 18? or can they do an apprentice things like that ? I think its a good idea, it will mean people dont do nothing at 16 and just bum around, and hopefully by the time their 18 more mature to make a better desicion about their future

Oh Wbobles you like your debates!

I think its a great idea, lets be onest as mature as 16 year olds may think they are, they dont know what they want to do, and this is a great way of making them get more qualifications, instead of so many that just leave school at the earliest opportunity and bum around for a couple of years.

As much as i think everyone needs to get a good education, i dont agree with this change. Having just left school last summer, i know just how disruptive kids are getting. All the kids that leave at 16 hate school and mess about in lessons, disrupting other students learning. That kinda of behaviour would carry through to 6th form if they were forced to stay, which is exactly what you dont need while studying a levels. Also, I found it so much easier to learn in smaller groups, but this couldnt happen if everyone stayed on to 18. I will absolutely hate the government if they make this change. Compulsory 6th would have such a different air to it. At the moment its really nice, you feel so grown up. But it would just lose that if this change is made. I feel so damn strongly about this, but there's nothing i can do. One letter wont work.

Also, in my area we have the 3 tier system which is now being changed back to 2 tier. The teachers are all very sad about this because the pyramid of schools i was in worked so well :(

I think it's a great idea.......AND I am glad to say Jade would be included in it, I think it is great!

i agree with gaby i don't think its a good idea not for everyone, why should people who do bugger all in school and mess around in lessons should be made to stay their and mess everyone else future up who are trying really hard to do their education and they can't cos the people who are messing around and not helping what so ever

vicky said:
i agree with gaby i don't think its a good idea not for everyone, why should people who do bugger all in school and mess around in lessons should be made to stay their and mess everyone else future up who are trying really hard to do their education and they can't cos the people who are messing around and not helping what so ever

16-18 training/education wouldn't be set up like school and would more than likely be managed in colleges or the training centre like the one I work at.

I'm a tutor on an Entry to Employment course at an independant training provider so it's good news for me! :D My clients are exactly the sort of young people referred to here: no or very few qualifications, disengaged with school and quite often downright workshy. Currently a lot of these young people leave school and just tread water until they can start claiming income support at 18.

More provision for education and training is ESSENTIAL to engage them in worthwhile employment and help them build a brighter future. My only problem with it is that quite often they drift through school and reach 16 still not being able to read/write and with learning difficulties undiagnosed. Getting some young people work-ready in two years when they've already been let down for 11 by our crappy schools is no mean feat. :)

I found when I was at school the kids that played up where the type who wernt interested in 'book' education anyway, and were more likely to be interested in trades and skills. So this means that have no excuse not to learn an actaull skill. Plus even if some kids done want to do any of these things, at least it stops them just going on the dole and having tax payers pay for them to sit around on their arses playing computer games and getting into mischeif.

In America kids are schooled till 18 anyway I think? Why not the same here.

I suppose most 6th forms do have grade limits, so you have to get over Cs to get in, but even people who get those can still be very disruptive.

Minxy, i know its not just school, but honestly, do you think the lazy disruptive kids are going to bother looking for a placement elsewhere?

Just wanted to say gaby that the two-tier is not in it has had a proposal made for it but not accepted.

I am saving now for chloes uni fees so I think yes the age should increase.

bexxie - the teachers seemed to think it was near definite any way :( i don't think they'll reject it. Under to much pressure to be like the rest of the country.

not round here maybe Bury but no way are they getting it in Cornard/Sudbury,I went to the council meeting and it was proposed but has gone to further debate. this was last Friday.

Bex

gaby said:
Minxy, i know its not just school, but honestly, do you think the lazy disruptive kids are going to bother looking for a placement elsewhere?

Under my fantastic tutelage, yes! :wink:

Honestly, I teach the most unmotivated individuals ever (they come for a paltry £30 a week) and getting them to apply for jobs/placements is like pulling teeth! But better they are applying, albeit with guidance, for something than sat at home playing Xbox and smoking weed until they can go on the dole!

not for me i hated school if they are going to ive thm trades fair enought but they are taking trades out of this country i.e car manufactory

Minxy said:
gaby said:

Under my fantastic tutelage, yes! :wink:

Honestly, I teach the most unmotivated individuals ever (they come for a paltry £30 a week) and getting them to apply for jobs/placements is like pulling teeth! But better they are applying, albeit with guidance, for something than sat at home playing Xbox and smoking weed until they can go on the dole!

Glad to see someone in the system that cares :) I've found that only 6th form teacher *really* care about the individual.

I thought that after a while, the job center give you a job to apply for that they can monitor and see if you actually apply? Didn't think you could just get jobseeker benifit without actually doing something for it. But yeah, i can understand about kids just sitting around doing nothing, its ridiculous, and their parents just let them.

Now that i'm more informed, i think that this is probably a good idea. But I am still worried about the affect on 6th forms. But then, I come from the best 6th form in my county, from one of the less rough counties. I have no idea what other 6th forms are like. For all i know they could all be bad already.

But the thing about being able to *chose* to go to 6th form is that although you may not always want to be there, you know *you* made the decision to be there, and that *you* chose to take these exams.

I know that they'll still be able to chose between college, 6th form and apprentiships, but its still not the same.

Whilst I can see a lot of benefit I can also see that for those that it would really help - it may not be of any assistance. Most of the people I work with have a very poor memory of school, it is something negative. Most will have been excluded, or their basic skills needs will have not been picked up and they will avoid anyhting to address them. It is so hard to motivate someone to address their basic skills at times, as the first thing they say is "I'm not going back to school". I see that the set up will be different but perhaps if the government sorted out eductaion from 5-16 there wouldn't be a need for this. Perhaps the extra money they are using for this new scheme could be put into existing education??

beanie said:
I see that the set up will be different but perhaps if the government sorted out eductaion from 5-16 there wouldn't be a need for this. Perhaps the extra money they are using for this new scheme could be put into existing education??

The amount of 17 year olds I meet who can barely write their own name is terrifying. They don't stand a bloody chance. I KNOW teachers are stretched blah blah blah but I'm baffled how they go through 11 years of school with no-one noticing and no extra help! :shock:

gaby said:
I thought that after a while, the job center give you a job to apply for that they can monitor and see if you actually apply? Didn't think you could just get jobseeker benifit without actually doing something for it.

That's kind of how it works, but jobseekers allownace is for 18+ only. If I was being really cynical I'd say Entry to Employment is the waiting ground for that :wink: All our referrals come from the benefit office when school leavers turn up to see what they can get. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->