Debt Payers and Savers Support group

Hubby rang sky earlier to try and get a better price as we pay a stupid amount and they couldn't do anything for us!!
We are going to have to cancel by April when I go back to work on reduced hours.

Does anyone rate talk talk? Can get tv, unlimited broadband and evening/weekend calls for £22.90 a month (including line rental) then can add monthly bundles like kids etc. We would be saving £40 a month!!

Xx

Sorry to be nosey but what are you paying a month with sky?. We cant get talk talk where i live, we do get it but broadband stupidly slow. I think with sky it depends who you speak to on phone. Maybe try phoning back and speaking to someone else.

Hubby rang sky earlier to try and get a better price as we pay a stupid amount and they couldn't do anything for us!!
We are going to have to cancel by April when I go back to work on reduced hours.

Does anyone rate talk talk? Can get tv, unlimited broadband and evening/weekend calls for £22.90 a month (including line rental) then can add monthly bundles like kids etc. We would be saving £40 a month!!

Xx

Sorry to be nosey but what are you paying a month with sky?. We cant get talk talk where i live, we do get it but broadband stupidly slow. I think with sky it depends who you speak to on phone. Maybe try phoning back and speaking to someone else.

We pay £62 a month (it was £50 when we first joined 3 years ago) our broadband is so slow but we live in a new build and they decided not to put in cable lines etc so we cant get virgin media or bt infinity.. so annoying!!xx

Xx

We pay £62 a month (it was £50 when we first joined 3 years ago) our broadband is so slow but we live in a new build and they decided not to put in cable lines etc so we cant get virgin media or bt infinity.. so annoying!!xx

Did you tell them you'd be leaving? Usually if you do they jump through hoops with offers to help you, at least in my experience. Haven't phoned them in about 18 months, really need to. Bt too!

Hi, I have been stalking a bit and would like to join? I really dislike admitting to myself how much debt were in!!
We are at that stage now where things are not too tight and were in the repayment stage rather than the build it up stage and that's where I'd like it to stay. My debts are around £8000 from a credit card and old student loan, I pay off around £180 per month to those at the moment. I also have a £2000 overdraft but just trying to prioritise the debt at the moment. I don't know what kind of state hubbies finances are in either but I suspect not great. We pay our bills together but apart from that everything is separate. I think now is the time to discuss combining all our money, salary and debts and each just have a bit of spending money. I get the feeling this is how most couples work?
Anyway thanks for reading I was just thinking aloud!
So I guess my goal for this year is continue to chip away at the debt £180 a month and not build up more debt whilst on mat leave.

Yep, we have a bills account where all the money initially goes. I then divvy up the money to pay bills, into the joint account (spends account for shopping, extra purchases for the house etc) and to hubby's personal account. He has expensive hobbies so it's easier if I can just say that's what he have spare rather than him asking for money all the time. He has been working P/T and all his wages bar about £100 in December (went a bit mad at Christmas lol) he keeps.

Definitely talk about it thoroughly, then make sure you know who has responsibility for what, then move forward. You need to both know what the plan is, and work in the same direction, otherwise it'll just keep getting undone.

Have you worked out what you owe and how long it'll take to repay to see if you can prioritise things?

I agree, there's no point me scrimping if he's spending all his money! I've always been the bigger earner (I never spent it on myself) but I've found it hard to ask for money.
Oh gosh.... How much do we owe... There's a question.
There is about £2800 on an old student loan, I took it to repay over 10 years, god knows why! I pay £84 a month on that. A while back I rang to see if it would be better to pay it off sooner but they said probably not.
Then I have about £4700 on a credit card. I'm on an interest free period at the moment as long as I don't spend on it so I am purely paying that off at the moment at £110 a month. Then there is my £2000 overdraft which I never really saw as debt it was just always there....
Hubby has £4000 credit card.
I think if we can somehow join all the debts together and pay more a month that would make it easier to manage. I just don't know whether the best thing would be to try and get another credit card with interest free period, a loan or something else?!

Hi, I have been stalking a bit and would like to join? I really dislike admitting to myself how much debt were in!!
We are at that stage now where things are not too tight and were in the repayment stage rather than the build it up stage and that's where I'd like it to stay. My debts are around £8000 from a credit card and old student loan, I pay off around £180 per month to those at the moment. I also have a £2000 overdraft but just trying to prioritise the debt at the moment. I don't know what kind of state hubbies finances are in either but I suspect not great. We pay our bills together but apart from that everything is separate. I think now is the time to discuss combining all our money, salary and debts and each just have a bit of spending money. I get the feeling this is how most couples work?
Anyway thanks for reading I was just thinking aloud!
So I guess my goal for this year is continue to chip away at the debt £180 a month and not build up more debt whilst on mat leave.

Yep, we have a bills account where all the money initially goes. I then divvy up the money to pay bills, into the joint account (spends account for shopping, extra purchases for the house etc) and to hubby's personal account. He has expensive hobbies so it's easier if I can just say that's what he have spare rather than him asking for money all the time. He has been working P/T and all his wages bar about £100 in December (went a bit mad at Christmas lol) he keeps.

Definitely talk about it thoroughly, then make sure you know who has responsibility for what, then move forward. You need to both know what the plan is, and work in the same direction, otherwise it'll just keep getting undone.

Have you worked out what you owe and how long it'll take to repay to see if you can prioritise things?

I agree, there's no point me scrimping if he's spending all his money! I've always been the bigger earner (I never spent it on myself) but I've found it hard to ask for money.
Oh gosh.... How much do we owe... There's a question.
There is about £2800 on an old student loan, I took it to repay over 10 years, god knows why! I pay £84 a month on that. A while back I rang to see if it would be better to pay it off sooner but they said probably not.
Then I have about £4700 on a credit card. I'm on an interest free period at the moment as long as I don't spend on it so I am purely paying that off at the moment at £110 a month. Then there is my £2000 overdraft which I never really saw as debt it was just always there....
Hubby has £4000 credit card.
I think if we can somehow join all the debts together and pay more a month that would make it easier to manage. I just don't know whether the best thing would be to try and get another credit card with interest free period, a loan or something else?!

Are both the credit cards on an interest free period, if so how long for? If they are both interest free i would probably keep them as is for just now. Maybe focus on paying one off completely and only pay the min payment on the other. Do you have a fee for your overdraft?

I put £120 in yesterday and £50 today into my pot ;) xx

I took the £81 child benefit money out and into another account but now our microwave broke and I need it for our steriliser, the cheapest I can find is about £35, also need new boots or something as I only have pumps and there terrible in this weather so doesnt look like we can save much this month!

I don't have debts but I have savings goals. I already have a large savings but that is not for touching as its my house fund for the future.

My savings goals are.
£1o a week to holiday fund for this year (hoping to go to the caribbean so LO can meet his family)
£7 a week to a disney land fund for when LO is 4yrs old.
£2 a week into a savings for LO.

And then whatever is left from my weekly pay into a savings account just for saving. I put my money into all these on a friday. Xx

This morning Oh's car wouldn't start.... Haven't taken it to the garage yet but SERIOUSLY !! This is exactly how every year starts for us :/ a few big token items break and we end up in debt :/ and it spirals etc etc last year we lost the tv the washing machine and a fridge in the same month!

Sorry to be such a negative nelly lol :( but it is so hard when all you want to do is get through the month with a few quid left!

On the plus side, I got our weekly shop this week ordered for 28.50! :)

In regards to sky, you need to be a little forceful with them, OH rang them up and told them we were making cut backs for the new year and needed to see what we could hack off our bill or cancel all together, and they magically cut the bill in half without us loosing any services !

They often give us the movie channels for free for months at a time because we tell them we don't want them etc. The bill has just been cut to under 30 a month and we have multi room and movies ! Keep nagging them :)

If anyone is like me and spends money but cant remember what on ive found a good free app for android that tracks your spending. Its called andromoney.

I wouldn't reccomend talk talk :( we had it at home when we lived with my parents and their customer service was shocking.... The tv service they provide kept jumping, was extremely slow constantly buffering and updating. The Internet was sooooo slow I think we would of got more speed with a hamster on a wheel generating it lol!

And they were so rude on the phone ! Awful!m

I'm thinking of cancelling my gym membership because it's $56 per month and I don't use it often enough to justify that expense right now. We are spending the money I saved on a new back door by the way.. So it's not wasted, it's going on something we need and it feels good to pay cash for it

Evening everyone! I've been really ill today so my parents bless em! Took belle for the day so I could rest.

And on my lazy day I've found a new obsession... Couponing!

As you can tell I've watched to much extreme coupon in guys today lol... So I googled and you tubed couponing in the uk and wow! I'm all over this!

I've been emailing company's all day saying how much I love products (this was on the advice of another couponer) in the hope they send some money off vouchers I've also signed up to loads of coupon sites only thing is you need a printer for lots! Damn it!

I'll let you know how I get on :D xx

I wanted to do that but it is so much harder here than in the us!!

So far this month we are nicely on track, the kitchen cupboards are full of food (my grandma made us a food hamper for xmas) so I am hoping we can get food shopping even lower than budget.

Xx

Check if there is an app called Checkout 51 over there. You get cash back for buying various products and can request a cheque at $20

Evening everyone! I've been really ill today so my parents bless em! Took belle for the day so I could rest.

And on my lazy day I've found a new obsession... Couponing!

As you can tell I've watched to much extreme coupon in guys today lol... So I googled and you tubed couponing in the uk and wow! I'm all over this!

I've been emailing company's all day saying how much I love products (this was on the advice of another couponer) in the hope they send some money off vouchers I've also signed up to loads of coupon sites only thing is you need a printer for lots! Damn it!

I'll let you know how I get on :D xx

I remember seeing one of those US programmes on this. Crazy. It's amazing how much people save!

Well this week oh and i have started decluttering. Putting bits on ebay and selling cds/games etc on music magpie. Should make some money to go on the overdraft and clear some space for baby things!

(Just a quick note to OP, in your post you've said i'm aiming to save £600, i've actually got £600 to pay off (which is a shame for me!))

I also made £10 doing some odd jobs so that cash has gone in the sealed jar so i'm £10/£100 down :)

Well this week oh and i have started decluttering. Putting bits on ebay and selling cds/games etc on music magpie. Should make some money to go on the overdraft and clear some space for baby things!

(Just a quick note to OP, in your post you've said i'm aiming to save £600, i've actually got £600 to pay off (which is a shame for me!))

I also made £10 doing some odd jobs so that cash has gone in the sealed jar so i'm £10/£100 down :)

Do Music Magpie pay well? I have loads of cds/dvds if they take them?

Most of our cds are getting about 30p, but we have hundreds so it adds up. There are other sites so we're going to check around where gives the best price. Also i have some big old textbooks that will get quite a lot.

The thing is books/cds etc sit stagnant on ebay unless they're special editions in some way so it seems the best way to get rid to us. I shall let you know how much we make/what we've gotten rid of when we finish.

Ohh good idea, i'm hoping to clear out some dvds! I dumped boxes of them in the loft! but if i can sell them!! even better :p x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->