'Decidual Bleeding' - Found this interesting!!

Lilaala

LTTTC Alumni
Reaction score
Question: Is It Possible to Have a Period During Pregnancy?

Answer: The short answer is no. It is not possible to have a true menstrual period during pregnancy. Your hormone levels during pregnancy will change to prevent you from menstruating, and it is not possible for your body to shed its entire uterine lining while maintaining a pregnancy.

It is, however, possible to have menstrual-like bleeding for a variety of reasons during pregnancy. Women who report having periods during an otherwise normal pregnancy are usually experiencing a phenomenon that is sometimes called decidual bleeding, in which a small part of the uterine lining might shed for the first few months of early pregnancy at the time that the woman would otherwise have had her period. Decidual bleeding is not a true menstrual period, but it can look similar enough to cause women experiencing it to not realize that they are pregnant until fairly far along in the pregnancy.

Another possible explanation for having bleeding that looks like a period in very early pregnancy is implantation bleeding, which is spotting that may occur around the time of the first "missed" menstrual period. Implantation bleeding would occur only during the first month of pregnancy, however.

Note, however, that bleeding during pregnancy should always be reported to a doctor in order to rule out miscarriage or other complications. Decidual bleeding does occur in some women but is fairly rare. Implantation bleeding usually lasts only a day or two. So seeing a doctor is your best bet for ruling out miscarriage and figuring out the reason for your bleeding during pregnancy.

Note that "decidual bleeding" is not a common medical term; your doctor may simply refer to this bleeding as "first-trimester bleeding."

This article says it's rare, right? Well on another site there are LOADS of replies mentioning they had it, or their friend/sister/mother/grandmother or they themselves had it.

See? https://www.babycenter.com/404_can-you-be-pregnant-and-still-get-your-period_7102.bc 21 pages of replies saying "YES!" says to me it's not that uncommon!!

What gets me is that no one seems to know about it! What are your thoughts?

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been spotting for two weeks. AF due today...still just random spotting. I've been so confused...but this makes me feel better :)

Yeah i was wandering about this yesturday lol Thank you for the info x

Thanks for posting that hunny...Its very interesting. My sister had her period with all three her children for the first 4 or 5 months! :hugs:

Hi, i was looking at this stuff too on the net yesterday. I've heard of it happening to people. I was only looking as i came on af on tuesday and was clutching at straws that maybe maybe maybe i could still be preg. It's really interesting though and makes you think!

I think the term "period/menstruation" is what the biggest debate is about. Im no doctor but IMO, women can appear to have what resembles a period during pregnancy but i dont think its exactly that as by definition of a "period/menstruation".

That being said..those who say you cant have what is resembled a period while being pregnant is defiantly wrong. tho it is relatively uncommon, it certainly is possible.

My mum says that she had periods for the whole time she was pregnant with me! Now it may not have been her entire womb lining that she was shedding, but it was certainly enough of it for her to think it was her period

And it didn't stop after the first trimester, or even the second - it was all the way through.......which means that even when my period starts, there's still a bit of me wondering ' i wonder if it runs in families....'

Thanx for posting that - learnt something new - I never knew you could have periodlike bleeding and still be pregnant.................god, this ttc malarky get more n more confusing!

I remeber reading about this- you can get your period (not a real period) but still be pregnant and your pee test and blood test will come up negative. How crazy is that!

Hi people
The question is how do you tell the difference? Thats what i would like to know.

Hi people
The question is how do you tell the difference? Thats what i would like to know.

Thats a good question. I would like to know that to. Not sure we will get an answer tho!:dohh:

I have surfed the net for days now and i cant find a answer. Its seems alot of people want to know but no one has the answer....

I remeber reading about this- you can get your period (not a real period) but still be pregnant and your pee test and blood test will come up negative. How crazy is that!

You are so right...my sister had what she thought was her period for a couple months and then nothing....all along she was preggers. They couldn't figure out why it stopped...tried a TON of HPT and blood tests, nothing showed. She waited and went back to dr. and they gave her a script for a D&C!!! They decided before she went to make the appt to take her blood again...they did and sent her off to setup the appt for the D&C. She made the appt and then they came running out to her screaming for her to cancel her appt......it came up positive. My mom was 8+ weeks pg with me and my sister before she found out she was preggers and my sister was about 6-8 weeks with bleeding in the first 2 months before she found out.

Hubby and I have been TTC, got a + OPK last month, BD day before and day after...got some really strange symptoms from then until June 2nd. Then I started my period 4 days early! Wierd being as I'm usually 1 day or 1 day late, never 4 days early! I've been nauseated since about end of May. Wondering if what I thought was my period was not....thought I had implanted too with the feelings I had....Grrr...what to do!

Loads and loads of people get this, from looking on the internet.
My period has changed the last 3 times and I have other symptoms that make me think I could actually be pregnant including lots of different stomach pains and feelings. I keep testing but nothing shows up.
I am 100% sure I'm not having a pychological pregnancy because I'm not convinced that I am pregnant, haven't missed periods etc, but I have this nagging feeling in my head that something weird is going on.
My husband admits that my stomach looks different, but the doctors won't listen. They've now refused to do anything else so had to demand to be seen my a gyno privately.... x
:wacko:

very interesting! But i hope this doesnt delude people if theyre suspecting a miscarriage.. sometimes people choose to go for the most positive way of thinking and wont see the doctor..and it could end up being something bad...

As it says though, all bleeding should still be reported to the GP regardless of what you think it is.

my oh cousin had A BABY AT XMAS SHE HAD PERIODS ALL THE WAY THROUGH !!( soz had caps on lol)

she didn't know she was pg till 28 weeks after seeing the gp for tummy pains and bloating !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->