Declining BP monitoring?

wigglywoo

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
Do I have to have my BP monitored? I want to decline testing but unsure about where I would stand with regards to having a home birth if the midwife is unaware of my blood pressure?

I had hypertension and odema in the last weeks with my dd and got very stressed out about having to have my BP taken every other day which always resulted in being sent to DAU to be strapped to the monitor, blood being taken and urine tested. It always went down again and I was let home, but even now if someone puts a BP monitor on me, I feel my heart race and I feel panicked causing it to rise.

I lost out on my home birth last time and really don't want anything to jeopardise it this time. Even if my BP is high, can I still insist on a HB?

Thanks ladies :flower:

You can decline and still have your home birth. I have a client who has declined BP checks and is home birthing. Ultimately you can decline anything you like and they are still obliged to attend you at home.

could you get one of those bp monitors for yourself to test? Perhaps it wouldn't go up if you could do it yourself, relaxed at home? If it was high you could just retest later and if still high then perhaps ask for some advise. i'm a nurse and often people get nervous when i check their bp and so it goes up! I think its the uniform and hospital environment. lol

You can decline and still have your home birth. I have a client who has declined BP checks and is home birthing. Ultimately you can decline anything you like and they are still obliged to attend you at home.

Great, thanks! Do you know if a midwife would still be obliged to attend even if my BP is high and they consider me to be 'high risk'? I don't want to have to fight, but am willing to do so if I have to!

could you get one of those bp monitors for yourself to test? Perhaps it wouldn't go up if you could do it yourself, relaxed at home? If it was high you could just retest later and if still high then perhaps ask for some advise. i'm a nurse and often people get nervous when i check their bp and so it goes up! I think its the uniform and hospital environment. lol

I think my problem is that once it went up last time I started to worry about it which made it worse. I definitely suffer from 'white coat syndrome' though! I will try and get hold of a BP monitor. I think my parents may have one. I may be fine this time (fingers crossed) but I'd rather be better informed of my choices this time rather than just accepting whatever I'm told!

:flower:

In the UK they are obliged to attend you no matter what :)

I also have white coat syndrome, as soon as I see a BP monitor I just start to feel really really nervous and BP is never lower than 140/90 as a result. Last time I refused BPs until I got to a sympathetic male MW right at the end who said it wasn't at all silly to feel that way and really wanted to help me overcome it - BP was always fine with him.
I have my own monitor and know what my 'baseline' BP is and it's normal, they might pester you about getting a baseline BP but that might be tricky without your own monitor, and Merv's mum is right anyway (obviously) about them being obliged to come out to you.

A friend has suggested that I ask for MW appts at home instead of the surgery, might give that a go.

I'm not having BP done at my first appt this week, I'm just going to do my BP at home first.

I had HELLP syndrome. And bought a home bp monitor. I'd do that :D And just keep a notebook of the readings.

They should be able to come and do them at home to help with any possible white coat syndrome effects :)

I am kinda in the same position as you. My last two births were induced due to preeclampsia and I have had a rise in my bp since 22 weeks. I am now on meds and it seems under control. I think as long as you are monitoring it and you know the signs and symptoms of high BP then it is perfectly safe. I am thinking they will take bloods and urine to ensure no preeclampsia/Hellp syndrome so as long as you feel ok and your labs are clear then it shouldn't be an issue.

I am having the dilemma of attending OB appointments as at the moment I am fine and getting baby sitters so I can go and watch the doctor read my notes, tell me nothing is new and we will continue is painful and a waste of time. So much is to do with covering their butts rather than the actual care.

My MW advised that my home birth is probably off the cards. I asked if my BP stays stable and I don't develop preeclampsia, could I still have a home birth. She said she wouldn't rule it out. I am not all that optimistic but I would liek to think I'm not a complete write off.

I had a MW appointment today and had my BP done. It was 120/70 so still within the ok range. My booking BP was 105/60 and my 15 week was 110/60 so it is creeping upwards. I will definitely be declining from now on as she wanted to see me at 31 weeks just to check my BP. I said I wouldn't come in, so she left it for a home visit at 34 weeks like I'm meant to be seen.

She's seen my birth plan and is ok with it. She only questioned my wish for using an alternative cord tie to a plastic clamp (once I gave my reasons she was fine). She clarified that I would only be transferred with meconium if it was thick anyway (which is what I'd put in the plan) and said that foetal monitoring happens every 15 minutes in first stage and then after every contraction in second stage. I said that that sounds like too much as I am hypnobirthing and want to be left alone really. She didn't seem too bothered. She didn't mind that I declined bloods either. I like my midwife :)

I have access to a home monitor at my parents and my brother is a gp and has double checked my BP at home. My usual BP is lowish (95/65 - 104/70) my bp at a docs has never been below 120/90

Initial MW at booking was lovely at my house really relaxed & chatty for ages before doing BP it was 110/70 so good for me with a medical person although I still felt it rise.

Next MW appt (diff Mw) I was rushing & a bit stressed and the 1st thing she did was take BP 135/100 - I explained White coat syndrome etc, her response....
Well you'll have to learn to relax. If you keep getting high BPs we will end up having to send u to hospital for further monitoring & blood test" - coz obviously that'll help me relax!

I'm going to monitor & record my own BP at home.

Im on bed rest atm due to bp problems and my mw thought it would be ok for weekly visits to check my bp. She then changed her mind and said every other day!

I declined as i think its a bit excessive,even in my condition, which i dont believe to be a really bad one.

She was fine with it as long as i promised to tell her if i had any worrying symptoms etc :thumbup:

x

Phew Connah'sMommy! I know what the every other day monitoring is like (and the inevitable visit to DAU). So glad she's giving you some space. I think it is made worse by them coming around all the time tbh because it makes you stress about it.

Hope the rest helps and that it goes down :hugs:

Phew Connah'sMommy! I know what the every other day monitoring is like (and the inevitable visit to DAU). So glad she's giving you some space. I think it is made worse by them coming around all the time tbh because it makes you stress about it.

Hope the rest helps and that it goes down :hugs:

yup as soon as they see your bp is raised they send you in for monitoring...only to be sent back out again on bed rest:dohh:
Very stressfull!

:flower:

Next MW appt (diff Mw) I was rushing & a bit stressed and the 1st thing she did was take BP 135/100 - I explained White coat syndrome etc, her response....
Well you'll have to learn to relax. If you keep getting high BPs we will end up having to send u to hospital for further monitoring & blood test" - coz obviously that'll help me relax!

Had the same happen to me, practically barked at me that i would have to go to the hospital! Very helpful, NOT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->