Decorating the nursery

Talia12

Reaction score
When does everyone else think is a good time to do this?!
Baby will be in with us of course but her actual room will be shared with her brother, I'll still change/dress her in there etc. The only thing I'm doing decoration-wise is painting one whole wall (someone else will do this for me. Not just because I'm pregnant but because I'm crap at it :haha: ) and getting a wall sticker and name letters, and a new chest of drawers. I was thinking of doing it mid December so around 36 weeks, does that sound reasonable? Think I'm too superstitious to do it any sooner :nope:

I did all my nursery stuff around 20 weeks when I could still function, felt ok and didn’t have an enormous bump in my way or preventing me from bending or reaching for things lol.

I am not even doing much of a nursery from this one, aside from the pack n play I just set her room up for a toddler and have the crib in our room. I had her room done between 15-16 weeks. My nursery went mostly unused with the boys so I didn’t see the point thus time.

I have the same kind of idea as you Talia decoration wise, he will be sharing a room with his sister too. I've decided not to change anything in her room for a while, just seems a bit pointless to do it all when he won't be in there or care for quite a while! I think I will do it all when they end up sharing a room properly which I can see not ending up happening for the first year or so, whenever he is sleeping reliably! I thought she could enjoy the room to herself for another year and then she can have some input when they finally share properly, so will just have an extra chest of drawers in there for now x

Yeah that makes sense. When did you/will you get the chest of drawers?

My mom and sister painted when I was 21 weeks after we found out the gender.

I'm now slowly getting things put together. Very slowly! :haha:

I have the prints just need frames, I made curtians but need to hang them, ect. I have some of her clothes hanging with tags but I won't wash those until she is here aside from the newborn ones and a couple 0-3 month just incase.

Aw that's so exciting! I can't wait to wash clothes and put them away, think that's the best bit!

Yeah that makes sense. When did you/will you get the chest of drawers?

Have got it already, only because there was one on sale that we wanted! I'm going to put a changing mat on top of it so it can double as a change table and just use the top drawer for nappies and wipes etc and the other 3 drawers for clothes. My daughter has a ton of toys in her room so I thought I would leave them there for her to play with for a while and then when baby is ready to move in I can divide the room properly

I think that sounds fine. Obviously, they don't need any sort of decorations, so even if you did go early, it doesn't matter much, other than the hassle of having someone doing decorating for you when you are at home with a new baby.

We aren't painting or doing any decals or anything like that, but we do need to put some furniture together, put our older daughter's cot bed back into a cot, get organised (nursery is currently a box room used for storage), probably hang a few pictures on the wall. Baby won't sleep in there either as we co-sleep, so it's mainly just for storing things. We aim to do it over Christmas since we have the time off then. I'll be about 32 weeks. There's no reason though we're doing it then other than we're off work and will finally have time to think about it

Yeah, that's totally true. I was a little bit concerned about the paint because I read online you need to have all the painting finished 8 weeks before baby is due and leave the window open that whole time which (a) seems excessively cautious and (b) I can't do because ds sleeps in there and it's winter! But since it's just one wall and I'm not going to buy some crappy toxic Chinese paint I'm thinking it should be fine :shrug: haha I'm guessing...
I guess the only thing really is the chest of drawers but I might wash just two of her outfits before then because I should probably have a hospital bag packed by like 35 weeks or something? Dunno when the normal time is to do that either! I remember putting up my ds's cot etc and washing his clothes but I just cannot remember how many weeks I was!

We just had our nursery painted by my dad this past week, crib has been set up for a while, I have an ikea rocker in there, and I've made two baby blankets lol. I already love blankets, so the more the merrier to me... I just have to get dresser situated and debating whether to go with another option for it... It was mine when I was a baby and it was my moms when she was a kid. It's very old and had to be duct taped together to move it O_O. It holds together fine set up, but just wondering if it's time to retire it :-\ My intent was to paint it and see. If not, my mom'll take it back to her house and we'll find something else.
SO... dresser is the last bit to do :) I will be using that as a changing table for him.

My oh did it this week (week 26) just painted it though we are going to hire a carpet cleaner and get curtains etc and build furniture around end of November so week 31. Baby will be in with us but the nursery will be handy for night feeds to give other one a rest

We just had our nursery painted by my dad this past week, crib has been set up for a while, I have an ikea rocker in there, and I've made two baby blankets lol. I already love blankets, so the more the merrier to me... I just have to get dresser situated and debating whether to go with another option for it... It was mine when I was a baby and it was my moms when she was a kid. It's very old and had to be duct taped together to move it O_O. It holds together fine set up, but just wondering if it's time to retire it :-\ My intent was to paint it and see. If not, my mom'll take it back to her house and we'll find something else.
SO... dresser is the last bit to do :) I will be using that as a changing table for him.

Aw, so exciting! LOL about the duct tape! Would be amazing to have something like that used by three generations. Wish I could make my own blankets, my granny is knitting one for baby though :)

My oh did it this week (week 26) just painted it though we are going to hire a carpet cleaner and get curtains etc and build furniture around end of November so week 31. Baby will be in with us but the nursery will be handy for night feeds to give other one a rest

Ooh, carpet cleaner probably a good idea! Not that baby will be on the floor much at first but it'll make it generally cleaner and fresher in there. Might do that! Hmm seems like most of you ladies are doing it earlier than I was planning so maybe I will actually bring it forward a bit :D exciting!

We're not having a nursery this time as baby will be sharing with his big sister once he's old enough. In the meantime we're on the lookout for a space saver cot for him so he can be in with us as long as possible. We really need to move

Didn't do my daughter's room until she was about 3 months old because we moved when she was 4 weeks. This time we decided our son and daughter could share so we had to redecorate and oh wanted it done before the baby came so it was done at about 30 odd weeks. I keep redoing things with stickers (which my daughter keeps peeling!!)

We aren’t going to do anything until it’s time for baby to move into one of his brothers’ rooms. Two of our kids will have to share, so I’m avoiding doing anything too early as DS1 and DS2 have their own rooms at the moment and since the baby will be in our room for up to the first year, there is no point in a room sitting empty for so long if we baby will get a room to himself. And there’s no point completely changing around one of the boys rooms if the baby is going in with him when we won’t move the baby for so long.

So all we’re going to do prior to moving baby out of our room is buy a new chest of drawers for the baby’s clothes and putting it in one of the kids rooms.

Also one thing to consider is making sure there's not too much going off at one time for the older child, as we were moving out daughter into the bigger room to share with the baby we wanted to get used to the new room first before

Also one thing to consider is making sure there's not too much going off at one time for the older child, as we were moving out daughter into the bigger room to share with the baby we wanted to get used to the new room first before

Absolutely!! We have been slowly doing this with DS. First we moved him out of his crib, then to his big boy room, we are now working on the highchair. Even though that isn't something she will need it helps that he isn't associating losing it to her either. Plus he seems to think it is now his thrown. :haha:

I hoped my daughter wouldn't think all of the stuff was hers but as soon as the baby stuff came out she started saying it belonged to her lol, his bouncer has become her chair to watch t.v. in Lol. She lays on the play mat and sits in his car seat, all of which she claims is hers. Luckily she is a proper little mother hen and loves him too much to be angry when he uses 'her' stuff

My little guys nursery has been done since around 24 weeks ish because I was still able to help fairly easily plus I needed a place to put all the clothes etc that we were buying :haha: personally I think leaving it until 36 weeks is a little late but each to their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->