Definition of Braxton Hicks

Bubsta

Love my Girl & baby Boy!
Reaction score
I'm just curious. What is your definition of BH? Is it the tummy hardening? Or is it the pms type cramping? Or is it both? I've had a lot of tummy tightening today... A lot... but no painful cramping. I decided to pay attention to the timing over the last hour and its been 10mins apart each time. I'm thinking as there is no pms type pain (like I had with DD) that its just BH? How do you define BH? :flower:

I've always been told BH should just be a tightening and not be painful. Also shouldn't be coming regularly, like contractions do.

i want to know this too!!! I get aches but i have only had them once or twice the passed few days. Today i had this stitch type of pain right at the top of my bump under my boobs lasted about 2 mins then went away xx

I got them towards the end of my first pregnancy. My stomach would get all hard and tight. Then as I approached labor, they got painful and i could feel them in my back. WHen full on labor started, they came consistently (which at that point weren't BH, they were contractions).

my doctor asked me if i had been having any today and i was like i honestly dont know lol i had to have him explain where they will be and what they feel like. then when i got to work, at 1 pm, i had one that lasted about 15 seconds and just had one about 5 minutes ago lasting 15 seconds. they dont hurt, just kinda feels like tightening

I think I'm getting them but not entirely sure myself as it could be bubs pushing against my uterus. The feeling I'm getting is like a balloon is expanding inside me and it happens to be stronger in different areas of my tummy at different times. There is no pain although I'm starting to get odd little cramps/twinges in my lower ab (under bump). They are actually fairly uncomfortable & it's just started happening again as I'm typing this lol.

Can you have BH without the stomach tightening? I have a lot of flab towards the bottom of my belly but there is a part at the top that is firm. I look at it when I am having these sharp pains and it does not appear to tighten and get hard. I also cannot feel it tighten. I only feel the pain! It is like a stomach ache but the pain is sharper. This has been happening sporadically. It is the type of pain that you get when you have trapped gas and/or have to go to the bathroom, but I do not release gas or feel like going to the bathroom. Anyone know if this could be BH?

Can you have BH without the stomach tightening? I have a lot of flab towards the bottom of my belly but there is a part at the top that is firm. I look at it when I am having these sharp pains and it does not appear to tighten and get hard. I also cannot feel it tighten. I only feel the pain! It is like a stomach ache but the pain is sharper. This has been happening sporadically. It is the type of pain that you get when you have trapped gas and/or have to go to the bathroom, but I do not release gas or feel like going to the bathroom. Anyone know if this could be BH?

It's all a bit of opinion isn't it. I asked my OB whether BH were cramping or tightening, and he said cramping. When I've looked online though it suggests its the tightening? So that's why I thought I'd check with the BNB gals! Maybe it can be either or both?

It's all a bit of opinion isn't it. I asked my OB whether BH were cramping or tightening, and he said cramping. When I've looked online though it suggests its the tightening? So that's why I thought I'd check with the BNB gals! Maybe it can be either or both?

That is what I am thinking! I started having these pains only recently. I am one day shy of 28 weeks so was not sure if it was too early to be feeling them. It is making me think about how much I can endure without an epidural lol. I am open to one if it is medically necessary and part of getting labor to progress, but I would like to not have one. Now I don't know. If I wince at these little pains, how am I going to get through contractions? I tried sitting back and going with the flow but it hurt like heck!!

I've always assumed they were any uterine contractions that were non progressive - meaning not part of true labor. I don't think it matters any more whether you feel them or not than it matters whether you feel 'real' contractions or not. Silent labor (where you don't feel the pain) is still considered real labor and still results in birth, so why should feeling or not feeling braxton hicks be any different? That's my take on it anyways.

Im not sure if its too early for me but last night on a walk I had stitch type sensations but either side of my belly button and down...Ive never had a stitch there before!
Not painful though- probably not it?

I've had the stitch feeling a couple of times. Usually days were I've overdone it! I don't think they're bh - I get them too. Good question though, because I get both the tightening and the cramps and wondered were they both bh. Asked midwife and didnt really get a proper answer. She just asked was I bleeding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->