delayed cord clamping questions

lalalistic

Mum to Poppy
Reaction score
Could I ask a dumb question (or 3), what are the benefits of delayed cord clamping? Does it also delay the birth of the placenta? Can you delay the cord clamping and still have the injection to assist with the birth of placenta.
Also if you birth in the pool can you still have the injection to assist with birth of placenta and stay in pool to deliver it?
I'm 35 weeks and haven't really thought about all this. I just know I want a home birth in pool. Haven't thought about the specifics and now freaking out thinking I should have.

Thanks heaps

The Benefits of delayed cord clamping ared that the baby actually recives the full amount of blood that nature intended early cord clamping means babies lose out on a third of their potential blood supply which obviously has issues when considering babies iron stores, also while the cord is still pulsating the baby is still recieiving oxygen from the placenta which means an easier more gentle transition to the outside world.
The world health organsiation reccomends that delayed cord clamping is the norm but unfortunately depsite lots of research into the benefits this is taking time to transpire into maternity units.
It doesn't really delay the birth of the placenta if having a physiological 3rd stage.
If have a active 3rd stage i.e the injection then you can wait until the cord has stopped pulsating before administering drugs.
You can still have a managed 3rd stage if you have a waterbirth BUT most mws would not be happy giving injection under water plus with a managed 3rd stage to get the placenta out requires fundal pressure and controlled cord traction which isn't really feasible if you are still in the water, as it is very important to be able to see clearly what you are doing and check for signs of seperation/descent of placenta.
Hope this helps.

There are a couple of good links to articles on recent posts about this. I'm on my phone or I would link to them for you! Luna summed it up perfectly there but if you have a look further dOwn this section you should see them x

Here we go!

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-na...eresting-article-premature-cord-clamping.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->