deleted

I've only bought a few vests and sleep suits in newborn size to last me in hospital, but bought quite a bit 0-3 as I know baby will fit in those at some point.
If it turns out that baby needs more newborn then OH can just nip to supermarket or we can go shopping when we leave hospital.

I would just buy a couple bits. My boy was to big for newborn. Chance are you will have some gifts of that size. Maybe a pack of four baby grows and vests?

my son didn't fit newborn - IMO, better to get 0-3 and have the clothes be a bit big... they grow quick.

Newborn sizes seem to vary from shop to shop, so check what size it actually means in each shop.

We're not buying anything for under 9lbs as both DH & I were over 9lbs, as were all of my mum's 3, so I think the chances of me having a small baby are slim. I also have "child-bearing hips" so room for a big baby!!

This is my first, so I don't actually know what I'm doing, this is just my theory!

my daughter went straight into 0-3 months xx

I can't speak from personal experience yet, but when I was born I barely lasted in newborn for 1 1/2 weeks. They were tight on me after a week.

My daughter was in newborn clothes for probably a month. She was 6 pounds, 2 oz. at birth. I am not sure what to do this time around with baby #2. I have a variety of clothes in newborn and 0-3.

my babies were all 7lb and 6lbs but this time im older and a new partner so im feeling unsure about sizes also . I think the ladies saying buy a few new born items and more 0-3 are sensible xx

The majority do need newborn clothing; I've had two babies, one at 39w and one at 40w, and both required NB. One actually required the smaller of the prem sizes aswell. I'd say any regular sized babies (meaning less than 9lbs) would go into NB clothes.

I wouldn't buy LOADS; ust the basics and limited. You can always buy more if you find you need them when the baby arrives, but you don't want to waste your money. You'll find that many shops let you get a refund within 30 days if the items are unworn/unwashed. We took advantage of that and bought things last minute and only used what we needed; taking everything else back.

Remember that people will buy you some things too, and people don't seem to think forward, so they ALL buy you NB stuff (opposed to buying you an outfit in 3-6m for example), so don't go overboard on the NB stuff.

My son definitely needed NB sizes as he was only 6 lbs 0 oz, and 18.5 inches. They were even a little big for him for a little while. Premie sizes were wayyy too small, though. BUT don't buy too many. They grow soooo fast!

I'm worried I have bought too much newborn stuff...:/ my first two were 7lb13/8lb2 if the next is much bigger I don't think he'll fit them! x

Can't help my son wore preemie clothes for a month and then newborn for 2 . ( and he was born 6 lb 12 oz . So it depends on the baby

Most moms I talk to just get a couple sleepers in the new born size and everything else 0-3 month. If baby is tiny then you can always get more small stuff but it would be a waste if you got a whole bunch and they meet needed it or only wore newborn for a week

It's terribly tempting to buy all the teeniest things because they're SO cute!!!

It's best to stock up on 0-3 month things. The little shirts will be baggy on scrawny newborn arms, then length may be a bit too long, but they grow so terribly fast, those newborn things will be obsolete within a week. A lot of clothing has the weight suggested on the label. I don't buy anything for under 8 pounds. My son was 8lb 12oz when born. Newborn fit only on the five days in the hospital. By the time we went home, we needed the next size up.

I actually felt like I got off easy with an 8 pounder. When I was born, I didn't get to wear newborn clothes. I weighed 11 pounds 12 ounces. My poor mom is only 5'9". Needless to say, I was her last. Ha! :rofl:

It's terribly tempting to buy all the teeniest things because they're SO cute!!!

It's best to stock up on 0-3 month things. The little shirts will be baggy on scrawny newborn arms, then length may be a bit too long, but they grow so terribly fast, those newborn things will be obsolete within a week. A lot of clothing has the weight suggested on the label. I don't buy anything for under 8 pounds. My son was 8lb 12oz when born. Newborn fit only on the five days in the hospital. By the time we went home, we needed the next size up.

I actually felt like I got off easy with an 8 pounder. When I was born, I didn't get to wear newborn clothes. I weighed 11 pounds 12 ounces. My poor mom is only 5'9". Needless to say, I was her last. Ha! :rofl:

Reminds me of my sisters boyfriends family. His moms 5"2 and hasn't had baby that weighed less then 10 pounds . She had 5 kids and they all went into 0-3 or 3-6 month clothing right away

Check the lb as all shops are different!

In Next iv gone straight to upto 3 months which is around 10lb as their newborn is 7.5lb and both of mine were more than that!

In mothercare theirs seem bigger so check the weight first! As its your first I'd just get a couple of newborn, I bought so much when pregnant with dd and washed it all n it never got looked at as it never fitted! x

My little lady was in newborn for about a month, I was given loads of tiny baby things so got a big box full for this little one :)

We've got some newborn bits, just sleepsuits and vests, and then a few 0-3. We've asked family and friends to only buy us 0-3+ just in case. I was the biggest out of my siblings and was 6lb3. OH was nearly 10lb. I'm hoping this LO takes after his/her mummy as I do not have child-bearing hips. I barely have hips!! Lol.

I've got a few basic bits in newborn, I know they might not be used for long if at all but I hate the idea of not having anything, and I'm sure it can be sold on eBay or given away if unused. I'm quite small and my bump seems small so far, my mum's three babies were all under 7lb so I can't imagine having a big baby myself! Newborn is different sizes in different shops too. A lot of places now do an Up to 1 month size which seems good for in between newborn and 0-3 if you're not sure!

My DS (9lb 15oz) fit into newborn just but 0-3 was fine on him too. DD (8lb) is still in newborn at 5 weeks old. I'd get a few newborn bits and more 0-3. As a pp said check the weight on clothes too- there can be quite a difference in size. Oh and the "up to 1 month" size from Next is a good balance between newborn and 0-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->