deleted

I can't help here - my son didn't head bang but he pulls his hair out so I can relate to a child having frustrating habits. Your son's bruises break my heart - he looks so sweet :( I don't know if maybe his pediatrician could give you some suggestions? Co- sleeping also came to mind, although I don't know if that would help or not. Good luck and I hope you can find some answers.

My lo has done it a couple of times, but I ignored him and he hurt his head lol and he hasn't done it since. I'd definitely have the Dr check him out though, he's bashing his head pretty hard to leave bruises like that, I'm surprised he keeps doing it, you know?

ASD is not the only condition that could lead to this. I would try to get the doctor to rule out other conditions that might lead to that.

Sounds like it's frustration/attention that fuels his need to headbutt. Sounds normal to me. I would use distraction and maybe put some soft toys or something in his crib if he has nothing in there to keep him occupied. If it becomes more of an issue or he does it even when he's content that's when I'd seek help.

My son has global developmental delay and sensory processing disorder. He headbutts for lots of reasons. Frustration because he can't communicate, anger because he doesn't get what he wants, attention seeking etc but he also does it to get a sensory input. He head butts anything and everything. Mostly hard surfaces because that gives him more satisfaction. My son is the type of child who thinks nothing of running up to a glass window and slamming hus head off it.

He is only very young still and learning to communicate so I imagine the main issue here is frustration. The bruises can be terrible at times but it's a senstivery area so he will bruise easily.

Maybe try the toddler bed. Even if he gets out and has a little wander round he may just get back into bed or fall asleep on the floor.

It's frustrating but for the majority of children it is just a phase :)

My son throws his head back into the high chair when he wants out. It's plastic so it sounds worse than it feels I'm sure but I think it's just his frustration when we're not moving as quickly as he'd like. He tried it once in grandma's wooden high chair though and he didn't do it again, I'm sure it hurt.

I bet he'll grow out of it but I can imagine how disconcerting this is.

I am a foster parent and I had a child that did this, she was 1 year. I worried because the Children's Aid Society (the Canadian version of Social Services) saw her on a regular basis. I reported it to the agency and they had no issue with it. This lo didn't bang had enough to get the bruises that your lo got. She did this when she was frustrated during the day. The banging started on the carpet floor, then moved to the tile floor if it was available. We tried keeping her away from the tile floor so she would use the wall. She eventually ended up leaving so I am not sure what happened and if it stopped.

I would just say that if he is doing it in the crib, try to get something to cover the area he is banging so that there is padding.

I hate to say it but it's a good thing he is doing it at daycare. Since they see it, they understand what you are going through and are less likely to report it.

I also hate to say it, but if you are really worried about social services, can you get the banging on video? It's sad to say but you have to protect your family. You want to be able to show people what your are going through should anyone question you.

yeah!!!!!! So you kinda figured it out. That must be so reassuring. Your baby is just growing up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->