Deliver @ 34 weeks with feeding problems?

vwilliams89

2nd TriMester
Reaction score
Hey Moms,
On March 14 I was having contractions 2 mins. apart.So my doctor transfer me to a bigger hospital a hour away because they didnt have a nicu to care for the baby.So March 15 still contracting i was dilated to a 4 but i had a previous section so I wanted to repeat another one so the doctor decided since he tried all his medicine and noting wouldnt stop the contraction he decided to start the procedure so i deliver a babygirl 5 lbs 1 oz..she still in the nicu only for feeding problems.she allowed to suck 52 cc & she only a suck 20-30cc and they have to put the rest down a ng feeding tube..& the nurse say preemies have that problem with sucking,swallowing,and breathing.Has anyone else had a preemie that had feeding problems & how long they were discharge..I really miss my baby the hospital is a hour away & i have two kids (6yrs & 2yrs old) so its hard for me to go everyday but i tried to go every other day..

I think it varies! Chloe and Jaycee were born at 29 weeks and were only in NNU for 4 weeks. Some babies were born at the same time and in for longer. It depends on the baby.
Hope baby comes home soon x

Firstly congratulations! I delivered at 33wks but my LO was much smaller at just 3lb 1oz so the fact your daughter is a good weight is positive. I know it's really hard trying to spend time with your other kids and visit your LO in the NICU (I have a 2 year old boy and felt incredibly guilty leaving him and incredibly guilty not spending enough time with my new daughter - just being a mum i guess). I know that feeding issues are extremely common but frustrating too as that sounds like its all that's holding your LO back. This wont help very much but when Erin was struggling to take her 'suck feeds' the nurses kept saying 'she'll get there' and 'it just suddenly happens' and they were right - one day she just seemed to get it! Erin was in the NICU for 6 weeks but this was with low birth weight and a set back when she had an infection so i'm sure you'll be much quicker. I know how it feels to walk out of the hospital without your baby but trust me she'll be home soon and it will be a memory before you know it. Keep us posted!

Abby was born at 29 weeks and was in for 6 weeks. The one thing holding her back from coming home was her feeding. The sucking, breathing, swallowing technique didn't come easy. She did start sucking at around 31 weeks, but had only really mastered it about a week before she came home. Once she got it, she took to it very quickly so it is just perseverence. It is hard work for them and they get tired easily, but as they grow the stamina is greater and they can take more of a feed.

Congratulations on your lil girl :)

Ruby was born at 36wks but at a good weight. She too had problems feeding but was discharged after 4 days. It wasn't till 2wks later though that she started drinking properly from a bottle. We cup fed her till then and had daily visits from hv.

Hi my twins were born at 34 weeks and had problems breathing and were vented and all that good mess. When they started my daughter on her feedings it took her about 3 days before it really clicked and she started sucking and swallowing and from then on did great and now she is coming home tomorrow which is about a week or 2 since she started taking bottles. They call it a "light bulb moment". It just clicks and they start eating. One nurse told me that babies usually don't develop the suck and swallow til between the 36 and 37th week which is right where you are so it shouldn't be much longer. Keep us updated.

My other twin, my son he just started taking his feedings by bottle but he problems with a PDA. He is taking 3 of his 8 feedings by bottle and doing pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->