Depression & Running

rachelle1975

And then there were 3!!
Reaction score
Hi there

Just wondered if any of you that have suffered from depression or feelings of 'lowness' have seen an improvement with running?

Currently feeling like i'm drowning in a big tub of water that i can't get out of and i'm so tired all the time. Glad i recognise the symptoms but researching the benefits of running...... making a list of things that make me feel good and things that make me feel a bit :wacko:

All the magazines/research seem to suggest the explosiveness of running really helps and i did run a fair bit pre-IVF... guess it's trime to get my trainers on! xx

hey

running does really help! give it a go.

however if you are suffering from severe depression you should go see your doctor.
but mild depression.. running is a very good idea. :thumbup:
i just took a class on sportpsychology and was surprised how many benefits there are to it!

Any exercise is GREAT for depression. Running especially. A good starter is going for fast paced walks, though.

Yeah it's only mild depression, tearful & feelings of worthlessness/failure but not all the time so I definitely think achieving a goal will improve my self worth. Running to make me smile sounds like a good move :happydance:

I don't know about running per-say but I started doing walking at home and it does seem to help :) Can't hurt to try :)

I found exercise helped greatly with my depression, although I am not a runner.:D Definitely give it a try but also seek help elsewhere (counselling, meds) if you feel you need it.

Any exercise especially outdoors has helped with my depression.

Hi there

Just wondered if any of you that have suffered from depression or feelings of 'lowness' have seen an improvement with running?

Currently feeling like i'm drowning in a big tub of water that i can't get out of and i'm so tired all the time. Glad i recognise the symptoms but researching the benefits of running...... making a list of things that make me feel good and things that make me feel a bit :wacko:

All the magazines/research seem to suggest the explosiveness of running really helps and i did run a fair bit pre-IVF... guess it's trime to get my trainers on! xx

I feel like you do. It all started with me getting anxiety attacks 2 months ago, which in turn, have made me feel incredibly low, like a black cloud over me, this week at work has been hell, but being at home would be no different.

Been prescribed Citalopram 20mg, going to take my first one later today, scared of side effects, but that is the anxiety talking.

I think running sounds a great idea, I am a member of David Lloyds and am really trying to do as much exercise as I can but I am so exhaused from the anxiety, its hard to get the motivation!

Hope you feel better soon. xx

I don't run, but I do workout quite a bit. I find going a class with other people can really help "the blues". I go to a drop-in cardio/weight lifting class at least twice a week. I have found that it has me exponentially. I would recommend looking at running with a bunch of friends or joining a gym/rec centre so you have a support network as well.

Best of luck!

Exercise can really help with mild depression. According to this article on improving your mood it's because "exercise creates endorphins (hormones found mainly in the brain), which, to some degree, stimulate happiness." I know it works for me but the problem i have is finding the motivation to get of my backside and do it.

Yes it really does help!!! I always feel much better after going for a run. While i'm running it give me a feeling of escape :) love it xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->