Desperate for some good advice re my 3 day old

bambino156

Mummy
Reaction score
Please help! My 3 day old son is quite content during the day, bf's then sleeps peacefully. Nights though are hell! Gets to 9pm and then he wants to feed allllll night. My milk isn't in yet and I know this is quite normal as he is trying to build up my supply but it's killing me. My breasts are so so sore, he has blistered and bruised them and they seem to be taking forever to improve. Another problem is that when I can get him to latch properly, he is happy for about 30 secs and then wiggles the nipple to the front of his mouth where he likes it - but obviously hurts me like hell - cue unlatch and reposition x 1000 times per night :-(

How can I get him to latch properly and stay there? And how long does this all night feeding stage normally last?

Many thanks xx

My LO was exactly the same, he had day and night the complete wrong way round. It went on for a long time for us. I think by about 8 weeks he was going to bed around 11pm and now he is finally going around 7/8. It is really tough, but I'm sure most babies sort themselves out much quicker! Have you tried cosleeping? A lot of ladies on here find that the best solution. As for the lazy latch, just keep doing what you're doing and he'll get the message eventually! Does he latch well during the day?

Hi, unfortunately very typical for 3 days - breastfeeding instinct is natural for a baby (sucking) but it is still a skill that they need to learn. He is learning. Try, try, and re-try. Your milk should come in soon. I always find the 4th day is the hardest (and same for my bottle baby, so don't reach for a bottle thinking it's easier), but if you can get through this, it will be well worth it. Leaving baby to lay on your chest and root for the nipple is a great way to teach him. Have you got a good cream for your nipples?

My lady was the same and still is a bit. Once my milk came in it did start to get better though.

The first two nights home I only got 2 hours sleep. It was very hard. She was non-stop between 11pm and 5am and if I tried to put her down shed cry and cry. :(

Now she's still fussy up until about midnight but after that she'll have 3 2-3 hour sleeps with feeds in between. So I'm getting much more sleep.

As for the nipple pain get Lansinoh!! Use it every chance you get.

Mine still feel bruised and when she latches on at first it's very painful. But after 20 seconds or so now it's not too bad at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->