developmental delay + dla

mummy2lissy

Reaction score
Hi im wondering if anyone has any advice.
my lb is currently on his settling in sessions at the child development centre before he begins his assessment. He is currently classed at developmental delay however this may or may not change by the end of his assessment.

He is 22.5 months old and a few people have mentioned about applying for dla and dropping my hours at work.

I know you can apply pre diagnosis but from what iv heard about the form and questions etc with dressing,feeding and supervision etc....i do do alot for him but dont you anyway for a child that age?? His twin brother is hitting his milestones etc but still needs help with dressing, as you do at that age but can recognise he needs to step into his trousers and socks on feet etc. He would hold hands when walking but W wouldnt, he runs the opposite way, stops to touch things and sometimes just stands still for minutes and doesnt move.

I know i can say all this but is there any point pre 2-3 old??

Has anyone been awarded it for a delay or possible autism?

We were awarded it before diagnosis - in fact since she was a baby and renewed about twice since
The DLA assessors will take into account what would be expected in terms of help at this age, just put it down anyway.

If you dont mind me asking...what were the difficulties your lo faced at a similar age?

My daughter was born prematurely with a brain bleed so it probably wouldn't be ideal to compare :hugs:

I would however suggest contacting a local charity who would be able to help you fill the forms out. Your health visit I should be able to direct you.

I've just about finished filling in the form ready to send off and my son has no official diagnosis yet. It's a lengthy form with lots of opportunities for writing your circumstances. What I would say is definitely try for it! I've only just found out that we're probably eligible (son is 3yrs) but if i'd known then I would have applied 12 months ago.

The focus is on the individual behaviour and care needs of the child rather than diagnosis itself. We all know that one, say autistic child, is not like another and some parents will choose not get there child assessed at all but still the child has the same issues.
Go for it - you never know. x

Forgot to add... Contact Cerebra, they do a fantastic guide, for free, which explains all the questions. It's been so helpful, just email and ask.

Yes definitely Hun. What you also need to think of is your child's worst day. That's what I was advices. What's he like at his worst and give lots of examples and plenty of official statements if he has anyone involved with him xx

Thanks all dor your replies, i will defo have a look at the cerebra website.

Somedays im adamant we would qualify then when he has a good day i question everything!

Are assessment begins next week and we have a meeting on the 30th so o might just hang on and see what that turns up.

Thanks all x

Personally I would wait so that you have more paperwork to back up your claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->